Surprize .... Surprize!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacksheep

I went to go and get a tranny dipstick for my project today. I got to looking and I have a Ford AOD tranny and didn't even realise it. Also, my bud told me that the engine I bought is a 289 Ford , it is in fact a 302. WTF? Good , I guess, but now I'm really wondering if it is really a 302 and not a 351. I have looked on Google and found a couple of casting number ID sites, but can't seem to find my number. Any Ford gurus out there? Here are the numbers

Date of Man.: 10-89 (definitely 302 or larger)
Other numbers: E9ZZRHO ( May-89, but can't figure the rest of the numbers)

Another number: 1086876

any help would be appreciated.

Ok, I have since found out that thisengine came out of an 89 Mustang, and is in fact a 302. Thanks anyway. JC

Last edited:
Just for the record blacksheep an easy way to tell the diff between 302 and 351 Windsor, if you can put a socket on the lower thermastat housing bolt it's a 351. If you have to use a wrench its a 302. Later Whit

Just for the record blacksheep an easy way to tell the diff between 302 and 351 Windsor, if you can put a socket on the lower thermastat housing bolt it's a 351. If you have to use a wrench its a 302. Later Whit

also the top of the left side water passage behind the timing cover is even with the deck of the block on a 289-302 and on the 351 is set down a little because of the higher deck height

Also the casting numbers are located on the right side of the block right behind the starter. If a 302 you will need to know if it is a 1968 - mid 1980 or a late 1980 on up. There was a balance change in med 1980.

I looked it up for you

E- 1980-89
9- 1989
Z- Mustang
Z- Ford service part/After market part ( That means the engine was replaced in that car. )

yEAH, THANKS GUYS. I did find out that it was built in May of 1989,and I can only believe that it is a 302, given the year. thanks again. I still don't know what the RHO is at the end of the number.

Yes, I had already gottne that info. I didn't know what the RHO meant though. Couldn't find it anywhere.

That got me also. But being a service block it could mean anything. Usually there is a group of numbers after the 4 digit.

It is a 302 if you are going for a flywheel or balancer that engine has the 50 Oz. balance.

Latest posts

Back