Survey says...?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOUGIEB59

A new friend reccomended turning to the masses, (you-s guys) and tap into the wisdom... Attached is a pic of the Rear shock mount set up i have... Do i need to add more support? The cross members and supports are built out of a heavy gauge (?) 1 x 1 square stock w gussets welded in at the shoch mount bar... Do ya think i should add more?? Safety first!! D/b

Attachments

• rear suspension shot.jpg
    rear suspension shot.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 92
Although that might be ok, I would want a bigger piece of steel holding the rear springs. Especially since they're also attached to the gas tank mount! :eek:

ISore

I think I would add a triangulated brace from the top of the shock mount to the top frame tube..then tie those two braces together with a baically a crossmember..might be overkill, but it would be strong..

COS mounts need more reinforcement IMO!!
Basicly that 1 inch tubing is carrying the load
of the car in the rear! With it mounted behind like that
it will be trying to twist it also!

:eek: Personally I think you are asking that 1" tubing to do alot more than it is designed to carry. I would, if it was mine, remove the 1" tubing you have the mounts welded to and replace it with 2x3x1/8(3/16) wall tubing. Safety first.

Not a good plan at all. That tubing is nowhere near strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle.

Must increase the tubing size and wall thickness. Must increase the thickness of the brackets that are currently welded to the 1" tube and the shocks are bolted to.

If you look close in the pick the tube already appears to be bending.

I bet I could bend it by jumping up and down on the tube.

What the guys said. ^^^^^^

Think of it this way. Lashing a few hockey sticks together doesn't make a 2"x4". You can keep adding sticks but why bother? Just put a real crossmember in there. You'll be glad you did.

Anyone that uses hockey sticks in an explanation is a friend of mine. [cl

And yes, you need more meat in the form of a sturdy crossmember.

OK-OK I GIVE, GONNA GO FIND A DIFF HOCKEY STICK :rolleyes: BUT FOR THE RECORD I DID TRY JUMPING UP AND DOWN ON IT... NO BENDS,,,
JEEZ- GO A LITTLE EASY ON A FELLA IT IS MY FIRST BUILD! (IM SENSITIVE... HA!) BUT I AM GLAD I ASKED - SAFETY FIRST! [cl

Last edited:
Not a good plan at all. That tubing is nowhere near strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle.

Must increase the tubing size and wall thickness. Must increase the thickness of the brackets that are currently welded to the 1" tube and the shocks are bolted to.

If you look close in the pick the tube already appears to be bending.

I bet I could bend it by jumping up and down on the tube.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Easy there big fella, there'll be no jumping up and down on the back of my truck... Might bend something! Ha!
But in my defense the actual upper mounting brackets came off the 3/4 surbaban donor vehicle... So im hoping that part will be ok...
But i do appreciate the suggestion for a stronger set up...
Nice build on your truck by the way... Dig the motor... ;)

I would also re-route the fuel line. A rubber hose laying on top of a constantly moving differential is a recipe for disaster. Personally I would run hard line until about a foot from the tank then change over to rubber hose.

Taint

I would also re-route the fuel line. A rubber hose laying on top of a constantly moving differential is a recipe for disaster. Personally I would run hard line until about a foot from the tank then change over to rubber hose.

TAINT LAYING ON THE DIFF, ITS SECURED WELL UP AND OUT OF THE WAY, THE PIC JUST MAKES IT LOOK SO...
K-HRISE, IM BEGINNING TO REGRET EVER STARTING THIS THREAD!! :mad:

No regrets, we are all very safety conscious people, if we see something that might be an issue and bring it up, it is not a bad reflection on you, but rather we would like to see things built with safety in mind, and sometimes we all miss something in our builds.

Keep on building!

TAINT LAYING ON THE DIFF, ITS SECURED WELL UP AND OUT OF THE WAY, THE PIC JUST MAKES IT LOOK SO...
K-HRISE, IM BEGINNING TO REGRET EVER STARTING THIS THREAD!! :mad:

You asked for advice & it looks like all the responses seem like pretty good advice. Don't get upset when people are just trying to help out with some pretty obvious stuff! Might want to turn the CAPS off too! [ddd

Toad

I think you could plate the area above the two 1 inch bars, and get enough strength out of it!! If you do weld as much as possible!! You could also cut lightening holes in for looks, if thats a concern!!

Appologies

Just had a great conversation w a builder friend i know and respect... He brought out a really good point... This is my first exposure to coil overs... Yes its a shock mount but its also the spring mounting point...THUS MORE STRESS LOAD... I get it now!!
Sorry if i was grumpy, im quite proud of my first build, and its hard to accept critique vs. Critisism (there is a difference u-know). And part of it is how it is said, and the explainaition of why.
I hold you guys in high esteem and frankly i felt as if i had fallen Short, and unfortuniatly took it personally... Sorry! Guess it takes even a turtle a while to get a thick skin... Cudos!! D/b ;)

I think the rule of thumb is, if you think you should ask, dont bother asking, just do :)

I think its pretty weak myself and should be supported more. Are the coil overs the main suspension holding up the truck?

You gotta remember that the springs aren't JUST for holding up the truck. They take some serious force when cruising down the highway and the tire sinks into a pothole at 60 MPH.

My cross member on the front has 6 grade 8 bolts on each side holding it in. And my springs in the rear are perched directly under the frame, not hanging behind it off some brackets.
Food for thought.

Most guys mount the rear coil overs on drag cars with brackets off the front or back of a cross member as you have done. A 2000hp pro mod drag car puts a crazy load on the rear suspension, maybe different than street driving but it is a strong mount. IMO

And part of it is how it is said, and the explanation of why.

True enough. I tried to demonstrate that one large piece makes a better crossmember than a bunch of small pieces and failed to explain that logic. I falsely assume people will understand my thinking without explanation. I also have a sarcastic sense of humor that tends to burn a few a$$es. No offense intended, it was meant to be constructive!

I apologize for the hockey stick analogy but as a former goaltender I assure you, a big stick can break all the little sticks and a few ankles for good measure. Bigger is better. [ddd :D

DOUGIEB59,
Glad you are a member here. I'll enjoy following your build. While the suggestions regarding your rear suspension are accurate, it is very possible to build super strong elements with small dimension and thin wall materials. It requires very thorough design engineering and impeccable construction techniques. For the home builder it is much easier and safer to use materials that may be bigger stronger than necessary.

Don't worry about being a bit defensive, it is a natural reaction. Everyone here has your best interests at heart. Sometimes the written word comes off a little different than intended. Oh, and a few of us have slightly warped senses of humor.

Latest posts

Back