Suspension for a 1948 Studebaker Pick up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old48

So I'm staring a new project I just picked up it's a 1948 Studebaker Pick up the 3 grill one and I have some questions as to what is the best way to lower this truck? I have been told by some to find a S-10 from to put the body on and bag it so I'm wondering if this is actually the best way to go?Any information would be appreciated.

It depends on how good the S10 chassis fits your Stude. Measure your track width and wheelbase, compare those measurements to the S10. You want the extended cab long box 2WD S-truck in most cases, it has the longest wheelbase.

The S10 doesn't fit alot of 30's and 40's vehicle very well. The body is often narrower at the cowl than the S10 frame where it kicks out.

S10Frame.jpg

If you find that to be the case, frame mods are required, and you're probably better off to just use the front clip on your Stude frame. (Assuming it works for track width). Take the diff, maybe the springs and mounts, scrap the rest.

I assume you're keeping the fenders. If you're not, forget everything I just said. :D

Hope this helps, and welcome to RRR.

Latest posts

Back