Suzuki Frontend pics

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

probchld1953

Took these of my Sammy today. Can anyone tell me what this type of spindle is called? I'm guessing reticulating ball something or other. Anyone know anything about them? I did get this shot of my steering box also. I'm guessing it is some kind of cross steer. It also looks like it might be a candidate for a cowl steer. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if so, there is a lot of them out there. Looking at this stuff closer makes me think I may not be able to use it. Well, there is always a V dub front. :D

Spindle.jpg

spindlee2.jpg

SammySteeringBox.jpg

Last edited:
Well, found the name of it as well as a complete downloadable service manual. That will come in handy. Also thought I would post this diagram of the Sammy frame. Might work good for a RPU or modified. It looks like about 2x4 boxed with about a seventy five inch wheelbase stock. But, if you move the axel out front it is twelve to eighteen inches longer. Anyway, here it is.

FrameClip2.jpg

Steering.jpg

Last edited:
The old military style was a "Closed Knuckle". In the military version there are steel balls and an axle with flat flanges that go between the balls. On a Toyota, they are called Berfields, or berfield joints. Should be okay for a hot rod.

Thanks Bonehead, As if a zuki ain't different enough, I'll have a weird frontend too. The drag rod will stick out front of the axel tube a bit too. Maybe I can figure a way to re-route it to the back or something. only got a hundred bucks in it so far anyway.Thats all part of the game I guess.

Latest posts

Back