Swap meets.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donsrods

For the past several months my Son Don and I have been getting up early on the last Sunday of the month to go back to the automotive swap meet that is held at the Muscle Car Museum up the road from our place. It was really good the first time we went and we bought a lot of great stuff, but the last few times we haven't really found anything much we couldn't live without, but that is ok, it is still fun going.

But what we were talking about today on the way home was some things that vendors do or don't do that annoys you a little. Such as:

1) No prices on anything. So often I might be interested in something but since it has no price on it I simply walk away. The reason is, I don't want to get involved in a conversation with the seller because if the price is too high I then have to get out of the conversation to be able to move on.

2) No application on the parts. All it takes is a small piece of masking tape with something like "1957 Ford" on it so a potential buyer can see it either fits or doesn't fit something he is working on.

3) The "SALESMAN" vendor who corrals you and tries to sell you everything in the spot. "Hey, you really need that electric drill you are looking at !" No, I don't need it, I was just moving it to look at something else ! :rolleyes: Sometimes the "SALESMAN" will even be shouting out stuff to you as you walk by, trying to get you to stop.

4) On the other hand, there is the seller who pays no attention to you at all and seems put out when you have to get his attention to ask about something. Sometimes you are not even sure WHO is the seller as he is hanging out two booths away, shooting the breeze.

5) The seller who thinks his stuff is made of gold. I saw a Harbor Freight engine stand today with $ 60 on it (used) and HF sells the same one all day long at $50 and even less when on sale. :confused:

6) The seller who won't give you a price. "Make me an offer." Ok, how about a buck ! :p

Overall it was fun though and I love digging through old parts and tools.

Don

I love it when the used grime covered part is for sale for more than it costs new! Called one vendor on an intake. Told him summit has it for $25 less than his asking price. Instead of counter offering he told me to get it from summit then.....so I did...

I know what you mean. There seem to be two kinds of sellers at swap meets. One guy just wants to thin out his inventory and make a few bucks and the other guy is willing to sit on his parts forever, drag them around week after week, all in the hopes someone will finally bite and pay the high price. I have seen some guys there with the same parts they had 4 months ago and I bet they have them a year from now too.

About a year ago we took some stuff to this same swap meet and sold it. I made over $ 400 and my Son Don made over $ 200. We sold almost everything we had and other sellers were coming up to us saying "Wow, we are dead but you guys are doing well." The reason is, we priced our stuff to sell and didn't want to take it back home again. If someone made a reasonable offer it was sold.

Don

I wish I could find some swap meets around here to take a little cash to and pick up some tools. Going to start looking in the local newspaper and reminder for garage sales and maybe take a ride buy and see what I can get.

Don't forget Pawn Shops too. Some are ripoffs but sometimes you can get good tools for good prices.

I worked with a guy who once worked at pawn shops and he told me you NEVER pay the price they first quote, he said only suckers do that. They leave some negotiating room in there.

Don

I completely agree with all your points the one I hate the worst is the make me an offer guy because when you do make an offerhe gets offended.

I wish our swap meets were going on but they don't have the swap meets July and August.

In regards to #5 and the seller that has gold plated pricing. There's a reason they're called "swap" meets. It's about freeing up some space in your shop and maybe putting some cash back in your pocket for a new direction or project. I get a kick out of the guy I see at 3 or 4 swap meets in a row trying to unload the same T5 out of a 4 cyl. S-10 for 400 bucks. [S

Latest posts

Back