Texas

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustylocke

Well here is a little project I started on. I kind of put the cart before the horse and didn't even have a garage to work in. I bought this project and started working on it parked on the trailer. All in the mean time, building a garage. Pretty crazy. Here are the before pictures:

I have been on a mission to build a "rat rod" that is reliable and safe. The 2nd week I had this I was cruising down one of the main drags in town and hit a pothole. The very next moment, NO STEERING! THe input shaft on the gearbox broke right in half. Luckly I went through the stop sign and ran up in some lady's yard. Went from "Hey look how cool I am, to please just get me out of here." I had just picked up my friend to go for his first cruise. Made it a 100 ft out of his driveway. This scaried the crap out of me because the day before I was going 65 mph. Luckily that day 40mph. So there's my quest. To not put your life in the hands of what someone else has done.

Attachments

• IMG_8968resize.jpg
    IMG_8968resize.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8973RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_8973RESIZE.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8984RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_8984RESIZE.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 13
More of the BEFORE:
As I first got this, I had to make it mine. The first thing to go was the keg for a fuel tank. You can't pull up to church on a Wednesday night sporting that when your dad is the preacher. Beside's, I wanted a bed I could use. In one of the shots, the shock is doing absolutely nothing at that angle. Rode like an iron wheel wagon.

Attachments

• IMG_8281RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_8281RESIZE.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8283RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_8283RESIZE.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8282RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_8282RESIZE.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 5
In the meantime I finally got some cover to work in. The shop is done now. All but the painting of the outside. It's like not having the right tool for the job.

Attachments

• _MG_3118Resize.jpg
    _MG_3118Resize.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 5
  • _MG_3119Resize.jpg
    _MG_3119Resize.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 5
  • _MG_3123Resize.jpg
    _MG_3123Resize.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5029.jpg
    IMG_5029.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5032.jpg
    IMG_5032.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 5
Continuing on with the improvments:
I need gas so a fuel cell was in order.
I wanted a bed floor so I made some out of shiplap.
I bought a new steering box and made the steering column.
And I did it on the cheap, thanks to this site and some research.

Attachments

• IMG_1602RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_1602RESIZE.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1599RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_1599RESIZE.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1606RESIZE.jpg
    IMG_1606RESIZE.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 7
Just go to the build section and start a new thread n post pics lotsa pics.[dr[dr[dr[dr[P[P;);)

Attachments

• bloodshoteyes.gif
    bloodshoteyes.gif
    13.2 KB · Views: 17
  • bighead.gif
    bighead.gif
    22 KB · Views: 0
Welcome to RRR! Man - you went straight from introduction to build thread - with lots of pictures even. Rock on!!!

So if the steering was that iffy (and the shocks[S), hows the welding on the frame - solid?

You'd have to ask the admin to move it. Might be easier to start a new build thread, because soon the welcoming committee is going to show up on this one.

Trust me there is not one square inch that I have not rubbed on. Yes the frame is good. It seem like the old boy spend good money on parts, but it just wasn't right.

Latest posts

Back