Thats SOOO TUBULAR!!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

martyf

Well...................

In my search to find a frame builder, I thought Id go buy this fab shop just around the corner. They build all kinds of rock crawlers, up grade 4X4s, swamp buggys, and such, alot of cool rigs!

I told them what I had ( 1930 tudor ford) and bring them pictures of what Im looking for. They said they work mostly with steal tubing but can work with 2x4.

The led fab said "hey come with me" into the shop we go, he wanted to show me their work.[;) I was impressed! he asked me if I was interested in having my frame built from tubing?

After looking at their work [;)(impressive) Its actually something Im concidaring

anyone ever do framing from tubing?

race

funny cars, top fuel, sprint cars all have tube style chassis.

my friends sprint car, street legal, built in 1969, re built 2008.

yellow sprint is street legal and the legend/ dwarf cars, all tube frame.

white one without the wing is a street legal champ car, a little bigger than a sprint car and it has a tube chassis.

Later :cool:

Attachments

• Copy (6) of thumbnail v.jpg
    Copy (6) of thumbnail v.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 33
  • Copy of Copy of toby 1.jpg
    Copy of Copy of toby 1.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 182
  • Copy (2) of Copy of dwarf car.jpg
    Copy (2) of Copy of dwarf car.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 180
  • Copy of Copy of tn.jpg
    Copy of Copy of tn.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Copy of Copy of 65.jpg
    Copy of Copy of 65.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 25
  • Copy (4) of 1137977420tc.jpg
    Copy (4) of 1137977420tc.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 183
  • Copy of Copy of toby 2.jpg
    Copy of Copy of toby 2.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
Two things come to mind..With round tubing, you have no flat sides to attach anything to like you would with 2" x 4"..not that big of a deal really, people do it all the time, but it will be a little more work..and two, unless they plan on using really big tubing :D, it will have to be triangulated (think rollbar) or double railed to keep flex to a minimum

Well...................

In my search to find a frame builder, I thought Id go buy this fab shop just around the corner.
"Go BY this fab shop". I has like holy crap, he bought a fab shop???????? :eek:

Hahaha don't know how I did that I'm usually on top of stuff like by buy there theirs........ Beats me

As far as the tubing size I think it's 1.25 and yes all THEIR frames are doubled railed with gussets in between

I think it would be cool as hell but I gotta keep the cost down so that maybe the killjoy

Well...................

In my search to find a frame builder, I thought Id go buy this fab shop just around the corner.

Hahaha don't know how I did that I'm usually on top of stuff like by buy there theirs........ Beats me
Sometimes I say that to call guys out on it. This time I just got a chuckle out of it.

A round tube frame like you described works VERY well, but I'm afraid you arent going to like the price quotes. They get pricey.

There is so much about Boneheads picture that tells you a professional works there. Look at how he has 3 grinders set up with different wire wheels and grinding discs, no need to change from one to the other, you just pick up the one you want and it is ready to go.

He also has ear protection, something I need to add to our shop. Finally, the floor and work areas are kept litter free so you aren't tripping over stuff as you are working.

There are a lot of lessons here for us non pros to follow to make our work better and more efficient.:)

Don

frame-1.jpg

There is so much about Boneheads picture that tells you a professional works there. Look at how he has 3 grinders set up with different wire wheels and grinding discs, no need to change from one to the other, you just pick up the one you want and it is ready to go.

He also has ear protection, something I need to add to our shop. Finally, the floor and work areas are kept litter free so you aren't tripping over stuff as you are working.

There are a lot of lessons here for us non pros to follow to make our work better and more efficient.:)

Don

frame-1.jpg
Lots of things about that shop as you look around the pic on how tools are set up and whatnot say GREAT. Wood blocks under a welding/work table are a no no.

The shop is usually a mess, and it just happens to look okay on the day I took the picture.
The grinder setup is the only way to go. A good brush, a flap disc, and either a cut wheel, or grinder wheel, it saves a ton of time. We have two tables in the shop, and each one is set up the same way.
Ear and eye protection is a must. Learned the hard way.

You could cook those blocks right there and they wouldn't hurt a thing. 1-1/2 steel table above, and a concrete floor below. No, it is not perfect, but it works very well for me.

The shop is usually a mess, and it just happens to look okay on the day I took the picture.
The grinder setup is the only way to go. A good brush, a flap disc, and either a cut wheel, or grinder wheel, it saves a ton of time. We have two tables in the shop, and each one is set up the same way.
Ear and eye protection is a must. Learned the hard way.

And BH, my comment on the wood was not meant bad, I have had lots of crap on/under/near my welding tables I shouldn't have. :D

Latest posts

Back