The end of patching rusted out bodys?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-R-POPS

''Rusty Mopar Slacker''
Saw on the news that Ford (there's that F-word again) was building a
all aluminum body on their F150s in 2015. 700lbs lighter.
Probably 10 times the price.
Interesting none the less.

I help a friend haul the scrap from a body shop and it's amazing how much of it is already aluminum. Especially hoods and hatchbacks. Shouldn't be too big of a jump to do all the bolt on pieces in it.

I imagine it will fair much better than the steel wheel wells have...
They are supposed to start using it more on their cars as well soon.

Read a blurb on the aluminum bodies as well. Supposed to be an alloy (but they didn't say what) and it's supposed to be 'dent resistant'. Also means it's going to be harder to repair. If it was hard to put the dent in....it's going to be hard to get it out. Most body shops are set up for steel repair, wonder what extra equipment they will have to have to do aluminum repair? Some alloys are resistant to corrosion to a large degree, look at a lot of the aluminum suspension parts used for a number of years now. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Don't be hauling any loads of lye in the rain! Not that anybody would.... [S

It'll be pull and replace instead of repair.

It'll be pull and replace instead of repair.

Yep. But isn't that what most body shops do now anyway? Steel on modern cars is so thin, it's hard to do much with it.

I agree those parts will be more expensive b/c you'll have to get them from Ford. No aftermarket generic versions for a long time most likely. I'm also willing to bet there will be cheaper steel replacements for things like fenders from the aftermarket....maybe even ABS plastic like on vettes.

Trucks have had aluminum bodies for years. Pete, KW, Freightliner, all aluminum bodies. Most of your delivery vans like UPS and FedEx use are all aluminum, too. All these stand up to road salt pretty well, they do corrode some, but steel rusts so it's a trade off. I think it was simply a matter of price, steel was cheaper. Now, to save weight, aluminum is probably more cost efficient in the long run. And as to durability, I pull a solid aluminum 48 foot trailer with 48,000 lbs or more on it everyday. With the right alloys aluminum can be as strong as steel.

Most body shops are set up for steel repair, wonder what extra equipment they will have to have to do aluminum repair?

My cousin is a career bodyman and works in a volume/production shop. (He's in Calgary AB. Read: "Black Ice Central", also known as "Hail Valley" in my cranial library.) I spoke with him recently and he says they're planning a separate work area for aluminum. What that entails, I can't say for sure but it has to do with specific tools and materials, not to be mixed with the conventional for simple logistics.

Last edited:
I think the idea is pretty cool, I believe we did some of the prototype panels in our one shop.

Also, sounds like they are adding a new engine as well a 2.7L ecoboost... I'd be interested to see what the specs are on that, but a smaller diesel would have been better I imagine...

People are often prone to freaking out when confronted with change, and while aluminum bodies are nothing new, seeing it show up in such a high production vehicle like the F 150 is big news. You gotta think that Ford is not going into this without thoroughly evaluating the pros and cons, and they have.
They have already had aluminum bodied test trucks out in use in fleet and other jobsite type use for 2 years(with the current body configuration) and no one has detected the difference.

Latest posts

Back