THE original rat rod?!?!?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29desoto

Outside Rose Lodge, OR, which is outside Otis, whi
This is an old (oldoldoldold) picture of my grandfathers first car (I am 62).

He is the gentleman behind the wheel. He paid $7.00 for it, and my grandmother went to her grave saying he was cheated. Any offers? We would like to make a small profit (if I could find the car!)

At any rate, I doubt you can see it, but the passenger is holding a pair of pliers, and the fenders are being held to the radiator cap with a piece of barbed wire. Hmmmmmmmm....[;)

Now my grandfather (RIP) was not a mechanic, but he was an excellent driver (think Dustin Hoffman in "Rainman") Grandpa always drove Desotos and then Chrysler products. He would buy the smallest six cylinder available, with a three speed column shifter. First gear, wind it out, second gear, to the max, into third. At about seven MPH. No kidding. Rattle, knock, ping, clank clatter. Never blew an engine, and they lasted for many years.

Downshift? For sure, at a dead stop only.[cl

Anyway, now that I have regaled you with tales of years gone by, how much can you guys and gals tell me about Grandpa's first car purchase? Obviously a Model T, flat black and in need of some work at that time.

How much more can you add? Would like to pass the picture along to younger family members with some info on it.[S

And don't pick on the natty head dress!

Wayne

Attachments

• model t.jpg
    model t.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 117
Not his first but I remember my grandad's 51 Chevy business coupe. He had a 261 truck engine in it and was proud it could pull the big hill in high and the V8 fords couldn't. I remember going to the post office and I think it took him about 4 blocks to get the clutch let all the way out with the engine just roaring.

Latest posts

Back