The Rat from Galivants Ferry, SC

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat

Been lurking for months and got tired of not being able to see most photos. (some you cann't see if you are not registered)

Anyway probably will still lurk for a while since I am out of money for anything now. But I want to build a Hot Rod? I check out a bunch of other forums and feel like this one is the best bet for my unconventional thinking.

A will tell you a little bit what I have in mine. currently I am in the collecting parts stage for my Hot rod project. I mess with Austin Healey Bugeye Sprites. I have a stock one I am rebuilding (not restoring) and another Bugeye sitting with a V-8 Ford drive train on the sidelines needing a rebuild also.

I also have a shell bugeye. Understand this car: first it is a unibody construction car that weighs abput 1500 lbs from factory. the car has NO trunk, no windows, no outside door handles and is built very simple.

My Plans:
1. Install 8.8 Ford rear end under car, haven't measured yet but I want some huge Mickies hangin outside the car, maybe just a inch inside shell of bugeye
2. Cut hood off flat at end of foot wells and weld to cowl and install new firewall so I will have about 18" of metal in front of windsheild.
3. Extend the front frame and install a 6 cylinder american motor that I can chrome and hop up. love the multi carbs and air cleaners etc..
4. Install a late 20s or early 30s straight axle, radiator shroud, headlights, etc to front with a wide stance to match rear

I am going with the six because from what I can tell going fast isn't a priority in these cars as they have been in my other past projects, and I just think a six would look good with the extra lenght .

But all this fabrication is all new to me, as are the parts you use in your rods

lurking

thanks, what I really mean is since my project is not active, I will just be watching others and there builds. I have this project in my head and cann't put it on paper until I figure out all the parts I want to use.
So I will be observing

Welcome to RRR! Any pics of your other Bugeyes? We like pics of about any car.

Sounds like your going for a gasser style. We like gassers! I like the idea of the extended front end. Somebody might do a photochop of it if you post some more pics of one. I could see it going the way of the old Anglia gassers with the headers out the front wheel openings.

Just trying to dissuade you from cutting the front off :D Welcome to the board.

20066259549_100_0661bug20eye-2.jpg

saw that in a magizine before

Neat Car, That is not the look I want,

I want it to look like a fenderless 28-33 rod/speedster combo

the rear tires are right, but want a rake down in the front,
To get rid of the stuby look is why I want longer front end

Welcome to the site. Pretty neat body you have there. Heck I've learned something new every time that I get on here the last few weeks. Bugeye!

Somebody fill me in on these cars. Not familiar with them.

Her you go Z.Z. Rat

British Sports car for the poor man that evolved into the Austin Healey Sprite and its twin the MG Midget. Cars are basical the same from 1958-1973 underneath, and msot parts interchange. I also have a 67 MG Midget I am trying to make dependablr enough for a driver.

They are very light nimble cars from the factory even with only 50-60 hp.
The weight on the Bugeye with the Ford 289 is only 1800 lbs

The Bugeye is basically just a shell. As mentioned there is no trunk, access to storage is behind seat. the doors are opened from the inside and don't even have door panels on the inside.

The outer body skin is visible from inside the car. there are no windows, no outside door handles, the hood is a one piece unit that lifts as one piece. The windsheild is a light alum. frame.

The dash is a stamped piece of metal held in by 6 screws. I could go on and on but they are so simply built and small. 12' bumper to bumper 48" wide

..http://yfrog.com/2gmgmidgetshopj

Welcome to the forum! Here in H-town guys are using 4-bang Pinto motors that the engine shops around here are pumpin' up to about 250-275hp. That's a lot of grunt in a small package & great for smaller cars!

BoB

Latest posts

Back