Them Damn Pulleys...I'm SO confused...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RodGuyinCO

Okee dokee, Dudes and Dudettes:
I just got my flattie (8BA) from the engine shop. I'm gettin' things together to paint all my stuff up. Would you like to know what I'm noticing? Let's see... My crank pulley is from a truck (8RT) and is about 3/4" wide. The pulleys from the WONDERFUL truck style water pumps I got from Speedway are around 5/8" inch wide. The stock style fan is about 3/8" wide, and I haven't picked out what size my alternator pulley is going to be. My question? How in the hell am I supposed to make all of this work?!? What do I need to do, or what do I need to find?
Help me, Help me, Please!
Bonehead, take note. This is your buddy in Palisade and I'll be needing some welding on my frame done soon...
Thanks, Guys!
Chris

hey post some picks of what you got and the engine year the last year of the flatty had diffenert size belt i got some stuff,, but i think all i got is for 52 model, 5/8 wide belt, need a picture with the fan mounted or at least all the parts,,, if ya can i would go with then 5/8 belt you can buy them cheap at the hardware store,, also the pulley on yor generator,, will fit a alternator, done this twice so i know it works no need to buy a pulley,, i'll help ya best i can,

Let's see...

Hey, Tex Deville,
I'll have to get all my stuff together and take some photos. It'll take me a week or so. I've heard I can use the 8RT crank pulley with the smaller 5/8" belt on the water pumps and still be OK. I'm probably going to go with a one wire alt and I'm pretty sure I can buy a 5/8" pulley. The big problem will be the fan I have, which is the "skinny" 3/8". If push comes to shove, I can delete the fan and go with an electric fan which might be the easiest way out, but I'd rather not...
Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I've got a 52 Ford with a flattie and Ford-O-matic in the garage that's complete with ALL the pulleys, but the car's for sale and I don't want to start robbin' parts from it.

Hey, Tex Deville,
I'll have to get all my stuff together and take some photos. It'll take me a week or so. I've heard I can use the 8RT crank pulley with the smaller 5/8" belt on the water pumps and still be OK. I'm probably going to go with a one wire alt and I'm pretty sure I can buy a 5/8" pulley. The big problem will be the fan I have, which is the "skinny" 3/8". If push comes to shove, I can delete the fan and go with an electric fan which might be the easiest way out, but I'd rather not...
Thanks,
Chris

P.S. I've got a 52 Ford with a flattie and Ford-O-matic in the garage that's complete with ALL the pulleys, but the car's for sale and I don't want to start robbin' parts from it.

i may have the fan parts you need,, take a picture,, of the whole fan pulley set up,, if you can take it apart so i can see the inside of the set up,,, if it is made to come apart , i believe i have what you are looking for!

God Bless ya', Rev

Hey, Rev, thanks a bunch!
I'll see what I can mock up next week on my days off. I'm sure that even though I can perhaps get all the pulleys the same size, I might have a whole different set of problems as far as alignment goes. But, I guess we'll see, huh? I'll appreciate any help you or anyone else who knows wassup' and can help puttin' this 'ol bad boy together in a workable fashion.
I've already got Bonehead who'll come over and give me a hand with some of the welding aspects of this build, since he only lives on the other side of the valley from me. This build is a bit different 'cuz it's a Model AA truck, but, hey, we can make anything work, right?!
Stay tuned and I'll try to be in touch next week.
Thanks again,
Chris

Pulley Pix

OK, Rev, and anyone else...
Here's a couple of pix of all the pulleys I've got... I'd like to get it all straightened out before I drop the rest of it together, paint it, and then...find out it doesn't work or align correctly.
Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

• Both Pulleys.JPG
    Both Pulleys.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Lg Pulleys.JPG
    Lg Pulleys.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 7
  • Sm Pulleys.JPG
    Sm Pulleys.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 10
OK, Rev, and anyone else...
Here's a couple of pix of all the pulleys I've got... I'd like to get it all straightened out before I drop the rest of it together, paint it, and then...find out it doesn't work or align correctly.
Thanks,
Chris

the fan i have is different, the fan you have, is from a mercury i believe,,, the pulleys on mine have a wider belt, but i do not have the shaft it rides on,, acrodding to the picture you have of the fan ,, mine is larger from the fan to the pulley,, in 53 i been told all the fords went to the thinner belt,, i have a freind who has about 5 flatheads complete ,,, i will look at them,, they are different years,, so maybe i can get some more info,, personally i would suggest , use the pulleys that match, water pump, crank and alternator, and run a electric fan, i believe you will be more satisfied with the cooling that way,, this is a picture of the setup you need to run your set up,
the crankpulley that matches your water pumps is what you should run!! thge picture is of 49-53 ford truck, this also a picture of what i have, minus a few parts,,
i have the fan the pullry and the hub,,

Attachments

• fan-hub1948-51trucks,, rrr1.jpg
    fan-hub1948-51trucks,, rrr1.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back