Theres really no such thing as new ideas when it comes to cars.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hillbilly4008

Most people dont realize it, but things we see on cars today and think "thats new" really aint. Did you know the first electric car was build before 1910. Those cool hidden headlights found on Stringrays were on Auburns of the 30s. Folding/tuck away seats that we see all the time in minivans were found in 20's Cadillacs. Air conditioning existed in the '30s. The Privacy glass inside a limo, been around since the '20s. On board refrigerators were in Cadillacs. Headers have been in play since the 20s on cars like Auburns and Duezenburgs.

Some times it really makes me mad to find out that some of MY ideas were allready done. For example, I hid my gauges in my rat above the windshield. Turns out Bonehead did that allready! Making an air cleaner from a wheel cover? Local guy did it. Copied the rear suspension from a '61 chevy truck? Yep, different local guy is doing it on his KB.

All the car companies are just re-inventing the wheel.

A friend of mine is an artist. The most creative person I have ever met. Draws, writes, plays music, clever, funny and an award winning graphic artist professionally. When he speaks about creativity, I listen. He allways says "There are no new ideas, just new combinations of old ideas"

I think he is right.

The whole idea of customizing was to make a cheap Ford or Chev look more like a Doozy or an Auburn. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. But the ideas were already there on the big boats.

Same thing can be said for variable valve timing technology.

There were at least a half dozen cars that were intake valve throttled before 1910

my '67 caddy has power seats, windows, locks, antenna and an auto dimmin head light. my 00 chevy truck doesnt have any of them. i used to sell 30g toyotas that brag about stuff like that and caddy has had it waaaay before than 60s

old ideas new again...........

nobody's mentioned the push button starter on new cars......
was on fords (and others i'm sure) YEARS ago!.

Just like push button shift on certain high end cars. It was a flop on the Edsel but now people think "wow cool". Another perfect example is the "big 3". They can't come up with anything original to sell the camero, mustang, and charger so "lets copy the old version and upgrade it to make it look new & improved". Then they price em so high that a normal blue collar guy can't own one. Real smart:rolleyes:.

Really? Who did Big Daddy copy?

Beercan

I have to agree with everyone. I design for a living, but I get inspired from things outside the field I work in. Big Daddy was probably watching sci-fi movies, and thought it would be coolsville to make a ride like that. He didn't steal the idea, but was inspired by his surroundings. That is where good design ideas come from.

I have to agree with everyone. I design for a living, but I get inspired from things outside the field I work in. Big Daddy was probably watching sci-fi movies, and thought it would be coolsville to make a ride like that. He didn't steal the idea, but was inspired by his surroundings. That is where good design ideas come from.

I agree. Its all about the inspiration.

Latest posts

Back