Things we remember,

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there any more "Dry counties" out there? Ones that don't sell liquor at all? I remember when I was stationed in Louisianna that there were a ton of them.....just wondering if dry counties still exsist....[S

According to Wikipedia, there are still quite a few, Alaska has 83 dry counties.

A 2004 survey by the National Alcoholic Beverage Control Association found that over 500 municipalities in the United States are dry, including 83 in Alaska. Almost one half of Mississippi's counties are dry. Its alcohol laws are similarly complex. In Florida, five of the 67 counties are dry (they are Lafayette, Liberty, Madison, Suwannee, and Washington) all of which are located in the northern part of the state, an area that has cultural ties to the Deep South.

However, prohibiting alcohol sales may actually reduce public safety. Research has found that dry counties have higher proportions of alcohol-related traffic crashes than do wet counties. A study in Kentucky suggested that residents of dry counties have to drive farther from their homes to consume alcohol, thus increasing impaired driving exposure.[1] A study of Arkansas noted that wet and dry counties are often adjacent and that alcohol beverage sales outlets are often located immediately across county or even on state lines.[2] Other researchers have pointed to the same phenomenon. Winn and Giacopassi observed that residents of wet counties most likely have "shorter distances [to travel] between home and drinking establishments."[3] From their study, Schulte and colleagues concluded that in dry counties "individuals are driving farther under the influence of alcohol, thus increasing their exposure to crashes

Don

Are there any more "Dry counties" out there? Ones that don't sell liquor at all? I remember when I was stationed in Louisianna that there were a ton of them.....just wondering if dry counties still exsist....[S

Of all places,,,Kentucky, the home of Bourbon is loades with them. Which brings to mind an funny thing,,,,,,,Christian County is wet & Bourbon County is dry.[S[S

I was raised in a dry county - - of course they are wet now but back in my teenage years we knew all the bootleggers by their first names. That's when I learned to drink warm beer !

How do you really feel?!.... you must have had some serious confrontations with the POPO... too bad....as most of them are friendly, hard working guys and gals that are simply doing their job.... of course society has changed a bit over the years.....there is little respect for any authority whether or not it's cops or teachers or parents....plus the fact there's been more cops killed this year in the first six months of 2011 than in all of 2010 makes them a bit more "cautious".... not from Lack of respect, but from changes in our society....any job...like doctors, auto techs and other working stiffs... you got the good, bad and ugly in every profession.... and the younger people who are filling the positions for the retiring officers have a different view on society than the old guys..... things change and sometimes it's not what we'd like to see.....I truly am sorry that you've had such bad experiences that you would condemn an entire profession for the actions of a few)..... seriously....:(

My apologies if I've offended you sgt.

I was only attempting to demonstrate the difference between then and now.

Then, an officer was more likely to offer advice and a warning if needed. You were treated like the decent citizen you are. You were happy to talk with them because they were flexible and reasonable. If you got a citation, you deserved it.

Now, they approach you like you're public enemy #1, and can't wait to throw the book at you.

I agree, the difference in society is responsible. Where I live, and when I was a punk kid, there was no gang violence, no crack, no meth labs. It's a different world for a peace officer, they have no idea what or who they're going to confront. I understand that, and respect the men and women who do the job.

As for my own experiences, I am a little jaded. Largely on account of the age difference, I've had to defend myself in regards to an old "modified vehicle". I know the laws and how they pertain. Unfortunately, the younger officers do not.

When they come to my window, and see an "old man" in an old car, It'd be nice to be treated with respect, not like an escaped convict.

Again, I apologize if I've offended you. Two of my good friends are retired cops, I still call them "sir".

When we were in our teens we would drive into the big city (Pittsburgh, Pa) and hang around all night. I remember that one of the cool radio stations at the time was KQV and they had their DJ in a glass window on the street. We would stand there making requests and getting mentioned on the air. Then we would hit White Castle Burgers and chow down on their little burgers. It was such a different time that we could even go up into the Hill District, which was mostly black, and never had a problem. After the riots of 1968 things changed and we were not welcome there.

We also had another cool station in town, a black oriented one, WAMO, and they had the best music on the air. One DJ was Porky Chedwick, who was called the Daddio of the Raddio. We all thought he was black, but turns out he was white. Later in my teens I played sax in a rock and roll band and got to play for a few of his sock hops, and remember that Porky always broke in and yelled over the music with stuff like "Play that horn, play that horn !!"

There was an illegal night spot down by the river in the "patch" and it was run by some black guys. They had a bar there and a building where they sold barbeque ribs, pork chops, and hot dogs. It was an old wooden building and the walls folded down to become a counter top all the way around and people would go there after the regular clubs closed for something to eat and drink. You would see women dressed up in long dresses and bums sitting at the same counter, and the barbeque sauce was the best. They had 3 different sauces.....mild, hot, and Bat Man.:eek: Bat Man was brutally hot and one time I set the bag on the dash of my 64 Chevy, and where it leaked through it ate the paint off of the dash. :eek: The firepit was concrete blocks with logs on fire underneath, with fence on top for the grate. Wonder how much galvanizing we ingested with those ribs? :eek:

Those were some great times. :)

Don

Last edited:

yep, there are some here in Arkansas...i live in one...no alcohol sold here (legally) at all...and it is dry from a lack of rain, too, tripper[ddd

How do you really feel?!.... you must have had some serious confrontations with the POPO... too bad....as most of them are friendly, hard working guys and gals that are simply doing their job.... of course society has changed a bit over the years.....there is little respect for any authority whether or not it's cops or teachers or parents....plus the fact there's been more cops killed this year in the first six months of 2011 than in all of 2010 makes them a bit more "cautious".... not from Lack of respect, but from changes in our society....any job...like doctors, auto techs and other working stiffs... you got the good, bad and ugly in every profession.... and the younger people who are filling the positions for the retiring officers have a different view on society than the old guys..... things change and sometimes it's not what we'd like to see.....I truly am sorry that you've had such bad experiences that you would condemn an entire profession for the actions of a few)..... seriously....:(

I totally agree. Maybe not here but on other forums, you always hear about the guy who was was harassed because he did a burn-out, ran zoomies or was caught street racing. Suddenly the cop is a **** because the guy got a citation or was taken to jail. The funny thing is, a few will agree until I bring up the fact that the guy did it to himself.

I, myself, will give a warning the first time. The second time, its a cite or an arrest. These guys moan and groan until I ask them how many warnings do they give their kids? They are adults, they should have know better!

Which brings up another thing I miss. Taking responsibility. My Dad always said, "If you lose trust, you will never get it back!" If you screw up, admit it, don't blame someone else.

When my oldest son was a small youngster, he asked my wife if they had money when she was a little girl or if they used rocks as currency ha ha. She was offended. I laughed so I was in the dog house too :D

Last edited:
Funny how wives have no sense of humor sometimes. :D We had the same problem, my Sons and I would be joking around the dinner table and somehow my ex felt that we were making fun of her. :confused: We would look at each other and say "Huh????????" :confused:

Reminds me of an old joke. A man finds a bottle and rubs it, a Genie comes out and says "You have ONE wish." The man thinks and thinks and finally says, "I'd like you to build me a bridge from California to Hawaii !!"

The Genie says "Wow, that's a really tough one, I'd have to figure in tides, winds, wave height, the arc of the bridge, etc. Too hard of a task, can you please ask for something easier?" The man says, "Well, ok, I have always been confused about women, can you explain women to me?"

The Genie gives it some thought and says "Do you want that bridge to be a four lane or a 6 lane??" [cl:D:D

Don

That about says it Don...they just have no sense of humor, either that or we are juvenile simpletons:D

I remember me and my friends collecting glass soda bottles from the ground and trash around the neighborhood so we could cash them in for 2 cents each and then buy some candy at the corner store. You could get a lot of candy for 10 cents back then.

Of all places,,,Kentucky, the home of Bourbon is loades with them. Which brings to mind an funny thing,,,,,,,Christian County is wet & Bourbon County is dry.[S[S

Moore county in Tn is dry as are a lot of other counties here. Funny thing about Moore county is. It is the home of the Jack Daniels distillery. They can make it there, but they can't sell it to the public.

My Dad use to haul beer for a living. When I was 4, he gave me sip of his beer. I thought it was the nastiest thing I ever tasted, next to liver. Never cared for the taste of alcohol since.

I hated the taste at first too, but it became a aquired taste and I had fun. Sad to think of all the money I wasted to feel like crap the next day.

I agree, I hated the taste of beer the first time I drank it. Fortunately, the girls I was dating at the time liked it a lot better than me.:cool:

Coffee was another thing you had to learn to like. I worked the 11-7 shift at a gas station when I was about 18 and my lady boss would show up every morning with a huge cup of coffee for her and one for me. I didn't want to make the boss mad so I had to sit and chat with her and drink the whole thing. Then, with all that caffeine in me I would have to try to go to sleep when I got home.:eek:

I guess some things really are acquired tastes.

Don

Latest posts

Back