Thinking about the next build, even though I'm still just starting my newest...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magnum

any of you guys think through the next build, even when you're a couple years from driving the build you're working on ???

I found that model T chassis at the bottom of the old scrap pile on the farm, when cleaning up the 50 year pile of steel... no early car sheetmetal, but 2 car frames 2nd one as of yet unidentified...

got me thinking a Model T era speedster might be kinda cool... vintage "looking" chassis, solid & tight enough to drive 60-65 mph, & put something like a Ford Ranger 4 cylinder 5 speed, with all the polution "fluff" taken off, do the double bucket seat type cab, enclose the engine in the round type vintage hand built front end, use a cylinder gas tank behind the seats... some light weight spoke wheels... end up with something that "looks" original, yet runs down the freeway

thoughts & or suggestions on the build, & if your mind works faster than your hands, & you start planning the next build, before even driving the current build ???

here are a couple pics I gleened about kinda what I'm thinking about...

Attachments

• Model T Speedster 1.jpg
    Model T Speedster 1.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Model T Speedster 6.jpg
    Model T Speedster 6.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 21
  • Model T Speedster 14.jpg
    Model T Speedster 14.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Model T Speedster 11.jpg
    Model T Speedster 11.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 20
  • Model T Speedster 12.jpg
    Model T Speedster 12.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Have you checked out the "Speedster picture thread"? Or Flipper's speedster build? Or BigIrish's vintage racer build?

4 or 5

l have 4 OR 5 going on at any given time.

being a packrat has helped me a bunch so l can do a lot and not spend much cash.

trading parts and favors also let me have more than one at a time.

Flipper hit the nail on the (flat)head:D

Later :cool:

being a packrat has helped me a bunch so l can do a lot and not spend much cash.
trading parts and favors also let me have more than one at a time.
Flipper hit the nail on the (flat)head:D

That how I do it, sometimes have to drop a project for a couple months till parts come along. I also put every thing up for sale, If something sale more build cash for one of the others.

and like flipper said it is a disease

I don't have room for more then one build but that don't mean that I'm not collecting parts for the next ones already. I see a speedster build in my future also. Mine will be more like Flippers tho.

Ok I know I'm getting a bit old for this but I want a second childhood

I've got a rod (Ratti 28 pontiac rpu) on the go but its way behind schedule, that means I'm making excuses for not doing enough.

Anyway I am fascinated by Bugatti 35's and 59"s etc so I have been dreaming about building a replica (with modern running hear as the possibility of digging up a 2 litre straight 8 seems a bit remote) So apart from it being a wog car it really is a true hotrod

this is what a T35 looks like;
as you can see it's just a wee bit different to a flat black prescription A or B model Roadster or RPU

motoring-graphics-2_840680c.jpg

http://www.bugatti.com/en/tradition/bugatti-models/t35.html

My RPU project is burried in snow... but you guys are making me itchy to start picking up some parts for the speedster...

gotta admit... those boat tails look pretty cool, & more finished than the T speedsters I posted pics of earlier

Ok I know I'm getting a bit old for this but I want a second childhood

I've got a rod (Ratti 28 pontiac rpu) on the go but its way behind schedule, that means I'm making excuses for not doing enough.

Anyway I am fascinated by Bugatti 35's and 59"s etc so I have been dreaming about building a replica (with modern running hear as the possibility of digging up a 2 litre straight 8 seems a bit remote) So apart from it being a wog car it really is a true hotrod

this is what a T35 looks like;
as you can see it's just a wee bit different to a flat black prescription A or B model Roadster or RPU

motoring-graphics-2_840680c.jpg

http://www.bugatti.com/en/tradition/bugatti-models/t35.html

Have you seen my boat-tailed rat project?

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8509

It is a two seater speedster with a 1930's euro racecar vibe

Here is a picture of the "body panels" mocked up on the chassis.

IMG_2577.jpg

Most body panels are re-arranged 54 Caddy shapes. Drivetrain is 1960 Jaguar.

I spent way too many of my productive years buried under too many projects and nothing ever got finished. Somewhere in my late 40s I decided I would not start a project until one was finished, well maybe except a little parts accumulation.

I love the speedster idea but would 86 the idea of a T chassis. They are way too light and flimsy to be of any reasonably use.

yep Im infected..........................

Im about 1/2 through with my 30 Tudor and already looking for a VW 3 door transporter[cl

3101064391_c1a6918a04.jpg

PileampDogs001_zps3ef12b4c.jpg

As many of you know I'm working on a '28 Reo which will not be running til late summer. But I also have plans... Here'a a pic of my "pile" There's a: '28 Stude sedan cowl, rear and some doors to be made into a tub, a '28 Hupmobile cowl which will be a roadster pickup cab, '29 Chevy truck cowl, '30 Chevy truck cowl. 4-'30 Chevy coupe quarter panels and a pair of closed cab rear corners. Out of the Chevy mess will be a roadster pickup body and a roadster body. The roadster will be an early, early style hot rod. A Gow Job.

In the spring I'll get a '30 Chevy coupe frame for the Gow Job that I've got spotted as well as a '60-something Land Rover.

Then there's the late '50's style dragster with a 300 cu in Ford 6 waiting to be built.

Latest posts

Back