tie rod question?????????????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigShem

[Sdidnt know were to post this this so i picked here..... heres the question..... tie rod.... in front of spring or behind spring let me hear yas pro and cons by the way using ford spindles....

I'm no suspension expert by any stretch but here's my .02. The location of the tie rod as it relates to the spring has no bearing on anything as long as there is clearance for suspension articulation and you can maintain reasonable ackerman. Someone with more knowledge may prove this wrong but that's the way I see it.

Like Gastrick said front or rear really doesn't matter. It has been done both way in a lot of factory cars. It's just a matter of where there's clearance and maintaining the proper Ackerman relationship.

If you're talking about swapping sides with a Ford spindle to front steer your Ackerman will be all messed up.

ok i just looked up the ackerman on wikepedia ok so if i understand this right it doesnt mater as long as all four tires are touching the ground ,,,, now is that why you degree the front axle out 6 to 8 degrees.??? just trying to understand

Big Shem...I can't explain ackerman without pictures, but basicly the engineers have designed front steering so that when you turn a corner the outside wheel turns alittle further than the inside wheel so that the car not push thru the corner. They make the car do this by designing the spindles and control arms to turn at slighly different angles. That being said, you don't have to worry about ackerman by swapping spindles on a straight axle car with a single tie rod.
Now my opinion on tie rod in front or back is that I like rear steering on straight axle cars to eliminate bump steer. So i suggest you use a steering box that uses a drag link that goes from the box to the right spindle behind the axle. Or better yet would be touse a rack and pinion steering that ties both spindles together or u could use a "Unisteer" half rack that is available from speedway. The truck spindles you have will require some modifications to add bolt on steering arms or you could buy some passenger car spindles. [P...hope I haven't added to the confusion!:confused:

fuzz that was good advise thats what i wondering if i was going to have a problem with the straight axle..... thanks for the info i'll try to post some pics on my progress... again thanks a million[cl

well thats what i was asking do i have to modify the steering arms on mine i was going to put the tierod in front of the spring.... but now i dont know ....my head hurts.....lol[S

I believe my earlier statement was wrong, I think there is some ackerman designed into early straight axle frontends. I think you would have to modify you're steering arms. Although I now run mine in front without modification. It does hamper turning, I may in the future change mine. I do not have the option of running behind the axle, I will have to modify my arms to get proper ackerman.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think there is any ackerman designed into early model streight axles?

There is Ackerman, based on the stock Ford steering arms.
The outer tie rod ends, are inboard of the king pins.
Makes the inside tire turn tighter in a corner.

GM created Ackerman on their front steer late models,
by mounting the drag link behind the outer tie rod ends.
Creates the same effect, in a different package.

Just a side note: Every make of 4 wheel drive vehicle, has built front axles with tie rods in the front. So it can be done. That said, most two wheel drives have their tie rod behind the axle.

I don't know if you're talking about older cars or not but there are plenty of front steer cars. Some oval guys prefer front steer some rear, individual preference. It really makes a difference in feel of how they roll thru the turns. But you're probably right, majority probably is rear steer.

Latest posts

Back