Time to Chop - opinions wanted

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be easier to install the roof off a doner car, something maybe flatter? I'm a little thickheaded and I don't understand the process of removing metal from above the doors.[S...CR:D

Would it be easier to install the roof off a doner car, something maybe flatter? I'm a little thickheaded and I don't understand the process of removing metal from above the doors.[S...CR:D

What I think is being said is you take, like an inch or so strip out all the way around, just above the drip edge, and that will force the roof to flatten out. It would also need serious relief cuts.

A doner roof might be easier, but would probably cause other major problems too.

I'm not planning to drop flatten the roof right now, but maybe in the future. It may have to be a little anyhow, just depends on the way the chop is going to play out.

There is an unsolved problem with what to do at the B-pillar. The B-pillar slants in more than the A-pillar. So if I widen the roof to match the front, the B-pillar needs to be tilted in to fit - which may cause window problems. Or I'll need to bow the roof out more to meet the lower B-pillar. My saving grace is that I plan to keep the vent window, so I will have some leeway there. I really don't like the idea of tilting the B-pillar though - I don't think it'll look as good.

#2 and #7 are by far the most well-proportioned and approachable options. Not surprising that some here lean toward the more radical chops, but what is radical and what ACTUALLY looks good are very different things. Time is also a factor for you. How long do you want to have your car down?

I really like # 8 but you wouldn't be able to drive it. #4 has the best compramise between looks and function. It gets my vote[;)

I like the idea of de-crowning the roof as well. Look up how people used to pancake old ford hoods or mid 50's chevy truck hoods. if you do a scalp cut all the way around say 1"-2" up from the drip rails then you can pinch the roof a little and slid it down inside the outer remaining edge. then after a whole azz load of pie cuts (or shrinking if you are able) you can remake the curve to meet the new roof height. Or take the center peice right off and shrink the center then re-trim edges. LOTS-O-WORK to do but I like it!

#2 and #7 are by far the most well-proportioned and approachable options. Not surprising that some here lean toward the more radical chops, but what is radical and what ACTUALLY looks good are very different things. Time is also a factor for you. How long do you want to have your car down?

Time? I don't plan on dieing anytime soon. :) But if I'm not driving it, I hope to be working on it - not sure which one is more fun.

1,5,6,7,10 were all wringers for comparison and to see where opinions lay. 1 and 6 are a 6" chop which is just too little windshield. 7 is no section, and from other angles it is obvious that if there is a 4"+ chop it needs a section to balance. 5 was no chop. 10 was stock.

I'm glad you chimed in BED. Radical and balance are why I started this thread, otherwise I would have a mailslot windshield and fenders above the windows!

I may do this poll one more time from a different angle, and fewer choices, if people will put up with it again.

I think you should try some photos from a straight on side view. The visual effects the chop and section have on proportion should be more evident from that angle to those of us viewing it on the internet.

First SAM I would give my left arm for that car... your a lucky guy.
I go with #3 for my taste. here's a idea let me see If I can explain it. taking the crown out of the top why don't you roll 3" of the front and side inward 1" and recess the rest of the top flat the front corners could be at a 3" radius you could put 1/2" half round raised strips going from front to back.maybe 4 of them spaced evenly. picture some of the 60's station wagon tops. it's hard for me to explore with only a keyboard but hopefully you get it. idea any way..
good luck have fun Doug

I thought some of your chops looked the same.

It seems to me no matter what you decide it to be in heighth, the side window frames which includes the B, C & D pillars will have to be cut along the roof line and door posts, removed and reposition to there original position rearward as all 3 pillars will move forward as the roof comes down.

So like my 2 dr. '50 Studebaker sedan, I made a cut in the middle of the window frame above the front doors, cut along the roof line to the bottom of the C pillar, cut the B pillars off at the door posts, trimmed some sheetmetal from the roof at the wide C pillar and then repositioned and welded the frame back in. A filler piece was fabbed to fill the gap created above the doors when the window frame was moved back, plus the top of the door frames had to be cut and widened to match the window frame stretch above the doors.

I'm not sure what the rear window of your car looks like, but in my chop, I removed the curved rear window frame all together, trimmed some roof sheetmetal away and rewelded the window frame back in. In my situation the rear window, although it's in it's original stock size, became proportional to the 3" chop I performed and now looks in proporation to the other windows which it should have looked when leaving the factory floor.

Here's a link to my chop in detail.

http://ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14565

Last edited:
I meant to say come in 3" then roll down 1"

I get what your saying. I haven't had time to think about flattening the roof yet though. Gonna have to do some visualizing on it.

I thought some of your chops looked the same.

It seems to me no matter what you decide it to be in heighth, the side window frames which includes the B, C & D pillars will have to be cut along....

I decided the roof will be quartered and the C and D pillar are going to stay with the rear section of roof/trunk. That whole section is going to be lined up with the C pillar.

As for the rear window, it is the only curved glass on the car. I'm going to see if I can keep it, but if it doesn't work proportionally I may try cutting it down. If that doesn't work out, I'm going to do a split window - late 30's style.

Latest posts

Back