Tire changers

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankee Transplant

He started out with nothing, he still has most of
Any one know of a good tire changing machine , under $1500 , Its just going to be for my self , not professional use. Ive looked over them on Google and found alot of brands in my price range but I dont know which ones are reliable. in other words I dont want to get a Yugo for the price of a Cadillac . If any one is using one and have had good service out of it . tell me the brand name please.

I have a old coats1010. Used it for business use for about 5 years and now maybe ten times a year.

Keep what type of rims and size of rims you want to work on in mind when selecting a machine. My old one is only designed to do 14" and 15" wheels but will do 16" if you don't care if the wheel gets scratched.

I bought it for $350 at a auction. One of the best buys I've made.

21 you cant find them no more here ,, every one junked them when they started selling the 17" - 18s and 19" tires I didnt think about it when all this was taking place or I would have got one . The old bench type coats was what I learned on,, Id love one of them , but the nearest one to me would cost me more for shipping than it would the machine . they are selling for $600 and up on e-bay , but they are all so far away . The new stand-up models are about $1400 but I dont know about how durable they are , I want it to last me for a long time . Because once I buy it its mine , i have 4 trailers and 12 cars and trucks here at my place . and I have 17 flat tires right now ... That tire hammer gets old real quick :) plus Id use it enough the rest of my life to pay for it at $7.00 a tire to fix at the shops .

coats are still good machines, no reason not to get another coats.

funds are very limited and the coats stand-up is about $3200 verses $1400 ranger , nationwide and talyn ... Im going to have to stay below $1500 on this investment ,, I know they say you get what you pay for , I just wanted to know if any one was using a different brand and has had good luck with it .

I spotted two old manual tire changers in the scrapyard the last time I took off a load of scrap. They will usually sell anything on the yard for a buck or so per pound over what they gave for it, but they wouldn't sell those.:( I have been looking for one of those for myself for years without any luck. Like you, the old hammer, wedge, and two bars gets old. I broke down and remounted 4 tires one day this week that way.

When I ran demo derbys a lot we stuck tires inside if tires and mounted them by hand with a tube in them. And most where at least 6 ply. I don't miss those days at all lol.

Ive got the tire hammer thats got the bead braker built on it and I always manage to hit the rim at least one time ...:mad:
21 I could not imagine mounting two tires plus the tube on one rim ...
I do dump truck tires all the time .. they are much easy-er than a car ,, its just the weight thats a bi-otch

I bet it you watch Craigslist a good used one will turn up. With businesses going out of business from time to time these things show up. I missed out on a huge stomp shear for $1500 a while back, it was probably worth $4000.

Don

Ive been looking , but not real hard ,, but when you find one its in cal, or texas . or someplace way off and they are at a good price too ,,$1400 free delivery for a new one isnt that terrible just havnt used any thing but a coats ..

Latest posts

Back