Titles in Iowa

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Block

I have pretty much given up on finding an old street rod or rat rod due to Iowa's change in getting a car titled. Heard the new Iowa law that came into play this year with regard to getting an untitled car titled is ridiculous and near impossible. The new law states all door handles must be in place and functional, no electronic opening doors, engine must be completely covered or fenders big enough to prevent someone from reaching in and touching a hot engine, third brake light required, a mirror on each door and properly opening doors (no suicide doors), among other things. I have found a few cars I was interested in around here, but none of them were titled. It seems like to me the state is stepping over their boundaries. Customization is what separates these rods! There is nothing unsafe about shaved doors or electronic doors. As a firefighter/EMT, I understand the reason, I guess, but if I am in a wreck bad enough to require the door opening, my rod is probably totalled anyways and they would pry the door open. I also found out the guy in my district from the D.O.T. that use to inspect and title vehicles no longer does this. His only job now is to inspect the cars, take all sorts of photos, tell you what you have to change before he sends the paperwork in, and then he sends the paperwork in to a committee of six people with the state D.O.T. and they decide whether or not to approve a VIN. I just spoke to a customer of mine this morning who has two rat rods, one for sale that I am thinking of buying because it is titled, and he told me of a friend of his who has over $80,000 in a rat rod. He got it done after the state had chaned titling laws and the state declined to give him a title until the engine in totally encapsulated, a third brake light is installed, and outside door handles put back on all the doors and the electronic door openers removed. Anyone's thoughts appreciated. Now I am looking for a mid 50's to mid 80's muscle car to build into a Pro Street. :mad:

Are you sure that this applys to vintage cars, as far as I know as long as you got a original Vin# plate, you can still bond a title with not much of a hasle.

Are you sure that this applys to vintage cars, as far as I know as long as you got a original Vin# plate, you can still bond a title with not much of a hasle.

The new law in Iowa states the vehicle must have a clear title. According to the D.O.T. man in my area of the state, even if there is a VIN plate, a clear title must also be held. If there is a VIN plate and no title, you must go through the entire process. I don't understand this unless the VIN is not on file with the DOT. If there VIN is on file and no leins are on the vehicle, the D.O.T. should be able to issue a new title and be on there merry way. I would understand going through the process if there is no VIN plate, VIN stamped on the frame, or title. If this is truly the case, my search for a car to build has been severely dampered around my neck of the woods.

Wow! Didn't hear about that one. Get a car and get it titled before you tear into it.

Might need to do some checking - that sound alot like Califirnia's new laws, but those laws are geared to the homebuilt fiberglass kit car stuff.

Wow! Didn't hear about that one. Get a car and get it titled before you tear into it.

Might need to do some checking - that sound alot like Califirnia's new laws, but those laws are geared to the homebuilt fiberglass kit car stuff.

EDIT: Why would you spend big $$ and time on a car before you have a title for it anyway? What if the title came back as junked - you'd have the same problem.

How about a 3rd party titling company?

I haven't heard that either with titling. I know a few guys around here that built "kit" cars, glass 34's and such, and they had to have em inspected just like a wrecked car. In that case they require most of the basic safety stuff like a newer car. Hey Big Block, what ya need to do is find one of those places out east that make duplicate titles. Look in the back of some of the rod mags they sometimes have an ad in there. My ol man and I got our Model A licensed as a 1929 with no trouble through one of those places. No inspection or anything. If I can find the place where we got the title I can PM you with details.

I haven't heard that either with titling. I know a few guys around here that built "kit" cars, glass 34's and such, and they had to have em inspected just like a wrecked car. In that case they require most of the basic safety stuff like a newer car. Hey Big Block, what ya need to do is find one of those places out east that make duplicate titles. Look in the back of some of the rod mags they sometimes have an ad in there. My ol man and I got our Model A licensed as a 1929 with no trouble through one of those places. No inspection or anything. If I can find the place where we got the title I can PM you with details.

Sounds good.

I just got my '36 Ford pickup titled as a specially constructed vehicle in Iowa this spring and I did'nt think it was all that bad. If you go to the DMV website, they have the requirements. I printed them out and used them as a guide all thru my build. Door handles are required, but I didn't have a hood or any kind of engine cover and that was fine. I made provisions on my rear backing plates and front caliper brackets for fender brackets and had trailer fenders on it at the time of the inspection as well as an old front bumper. They require a defrosting or defogging device for the windshield so I mounted an old school bus fan on the dash. Seat belts, of course. Only thing I had issues with was you have to have a parking brake, which I don't think is needed with an automatic tranny, so I had to figure out how to do that as I built.

Gary

I just got my '36 Ford pickup titled as a specially constructed vehicle in Iowa this spring and I did'nt think it was all that bad. If you go to the DMV website, they have the requirements. I printed them out and used them as a guide all thru my build. Door handles are required, but I didn't have a hood or any kind of engine cover and that was fine. I made provisions on my rear backing plates and front caliper brackets for fender brackets and had trailer fenders on it at the time of the inspection as well as an old front bumper. They require a defrosting or defogging device for the windshield so I mounted an old school bus fan on the dash. Seat belts, of course. Only thing I had issues with was you have to have a parking brake, which I don't think is needed with an automatic tranny, so I had to figure out how to do that as I built.

Gary

FYI...New rules and regulations since this past spring! You made it just before the changes.

Heres my thoughts if we could get all the hotrodders to go to the capital and fight it these laws might get changed .imo any car over 20 years old shouldnt have to have titles they claim its to stop stolen cars however if a car is stolen it would show up when you regester it ..other states (nh) ect dont have to title anything over 20 years old ..i think this state is rediculious when it comes to this hobby and something should be done ..lets help each other and find a way to fight this ..

Heres my thoughts if we could get all the hotrodders to go to the capital and fight it these laws might get changed .imo any car over 20 years old shouldnt have to have titles they claim its to stop stolen cars however if a car is stolen it would show up when you regester it ..other states (nh) ect dont have to title anything over 20 years old ..i think this state is rediculious when it comes to this hobby and something should be done ..lets help each other and find a way to fight this ..

I like your thoughts and agree that a gathering at the statehouse would be fitting. But, if a vehicle has no title or no V.I.N. number, there would be no way to know if it is lost or stolen, which is why you would have to secure a new V.I.N. and title. The new procedure is not easy and in fact, downright nearly impossible.

if the vehicle has no vin or id its probably homemade in wich case you title the frameor regester it under street rod rules. still way more fair to do it that way than screw everyone . ck out street rod rules for state of nh. we could use those as a guideline..like i said before it will never be fair the way this state does it now .thats for certain and in a time when the gov. has asked for the peoples help in lowering costs in the state government this is one way to cut out a hell of a lot of needless paperwork..

TITLE XXI
MOTOR VEHICLES
CHAPTER 266
EQUIPMENT OF VEHICLES
Street Rods
Section 266:113
266:113 Equipment Required of Street Rods. –
I. A vehicle registered as a street rod shall be equipped as prescribed by RSA 266 and state of New Hampshire official inspection station rules adopted pursuant to RSA 541-A, as they may be applicable to vehicles whose model year is prior to the year 1949.
II. Notwithstanding paragraph I, street rods shall be equipped with the following:
(a) Hydraulic service brakes on all wheels.
(b) Sealed beam or halogen headlamps.
(c) Seat belts for all passengers.
(d) Turn signal lamps and switch.
(e) Safety glass or Lexan.
(f) Electric or vacuum windshield wiper located in front of the driver.
(g) Parking brake operating on at least 2 wheels on the same axle.
III. Notwithstanding the requirements of this subdivision, bumpers, fenders, and hoods shall be optional equipment. Exhaust systems discharging along the side of the vehicle shall be allowed, provided the exhaust discharge point is to the rear of the rear edge of the front door and such system shall exit exhaust gas away from the vehicle.
IV. The ground clearance for a street rod shall be such that the vehicle shall be able to be in motion and functional while on its 4 rims on a flat surface, and no part of the suspension, steering or chassis shall touch that surface. The director may adopt rules, pursuant to RSA 541-A, as are necessary to implement the provisions of this subdivision.
Source. 1992, 214:3, eff. Jan. 1, 1993.

FYI...New rules and regulations since this past spring! You made it just before the changes.

I just looked at the IA DOT website and I don't see any changes to requirements from what I built mine by. I did have a bill of sale for my cab, engine, transmission, and the steel I built my frame out of. The inspector did run the numbers for the engine and transmission to see if they showed up as from a stolen car.

THERE IS ALWAYS FUN HATERS EVERYWHERE. Everything is getting more rules and regulations or revenue generators, I say bahumbug

Latest posts

Back