titling a rat in missouri

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustbucketracin

i call the dmv inspection place (state trooper post b macon, mo) and talked to theguy and he told me i newed a title for the cab, but then later told me its going to be a "special build" 2008 truck. if am one has worked with one in missouri please help me out. i would like it go good thefirst time.

It is best to go in ahead of time and explain exactly what you are doing. The problem is there are usually more than one way to skin a cat and they may only outline the most difficult or costly one.

This how I do it out here in Utah; I have done this in Texas and Florida too,
First you need a bunch of pictures of the old heap. Next get the forms off the net from the local DMV for filling for a new title, ownership statuse and such. Get a local officer to run the VIN number to make sure it hasn't been registerd in the past umpteen years. Go down to the local DMV and file the paper work for a new title on the VIN number, being cab and chassis. I do this on all the abandoned rides I drag home from out in the desert. So far I have title more then 20 rides with no problems or hitches.

Once the title arrives, you are then set to do what ever you need to do for getting it up and on the road. If it requires a new chassis, so be it, just remember to stamp the numbers into the new chassis to match the title.

The key is to play the system to your advantage. Once the local officer signs off the form on the VIN, you are on the road to getting it done. It does pay to have a couple officials as friends. I have a state trooper accross the street who handles all my paper work. Good luck and do take the time to process several pictures, it helps in the processing.:D:rolleyes:

I did a search in your state for what you need, here are the listings and forms to process it through the system;
http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/forms/3019.pdf
In case you get mis-directed, here is the master page;
http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/help.htm#title
This page is a bit on the mis-leading side and you should pay close attention to the requirements. You will need to certificate of odometer reading with the VIN inspection. If you dragged the beast home, you need to get a signature from the property owner who gave you the beast and if you can talk then into allowing you to have them sign the duplicate title forms, it would be in your best interest over all. Have them gift the hulking mess 100% to you, hence you most likely will only pay a tax on the scrap weight.
If you dragged it home from some unknown area inthe woods, it would be to your advantage to file the general form on abamdoned vehicels. Here in Utah, we just file a statement of ownership, also known as "claim jumping".
Here is the form for you to file in this catagory http://dor.mo.gov/mvdl/motorv/forms/768.pdf, it works every time. Take planty of pictures, give the weight value quote from a local scrap yard to validate your claim of worth. And you are good to go. This the very same sequence I have followed in every state I have lived in over the past 30 years of claiming abandoned rides. It takes about 30 days to get a title.:D

Latest posts

Back