To buy or not to buy that is the question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good example why I'm a little hard on over-enthusiatics newcomers. So many of those projects are still born hack jobs, nice old cars getting molested by guys with way more enthusiasm than talent (until they realize how much work it's going to be). I.d say at least half of the front stub swaps I've seen were a horrible mess at best.
Glad to see it in good hands.

The things that are messed up are probably why the car was for sale and available at a reasonable price. Nothing there you can't handle with ease, with your experience and ability.

It looks like a good start and I know it will be a great finish with you on the case.

Last edited:
That is a good example why I'm a little hard on over-enthusiatics newcomers. So many of those projects are still born hack jobs, nice old cars getting molested by guys with way more enthusiasm than talent (until they realize how much work it's going to be). I.d say at least half of the front stub swaps I've seen were a horrible mess at best.
Glad to see it in good hands.

I bought my 37 at a redicuously low price because someone "attempted" to sub frame it with a 60 chevy stub...complete with drum brakes also. As you know 60 chevys are quite a bit wider than 37's so the front sheetmetal wouldn't fit back on the car. I knew what I was getting into as I had access to another frame.....
Don't be afraid to tackle anything but ask questions if you're not sure....remember the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask!

Thanks for the well wishes guys - Looks like they worked!

A short trip north this morning and the deal was done. This old P15 now resides in my garage, and I am still smiling after all these years of wanting one. It is at the back of the line for a while though, so progress may be slow for a while. Right now I'm just happy knowing it's mine and hope my Mom & Dad are smiling down.

The car itself is in pretty good shape. Some typical body repair needed but nothing out of line. The frame stub however is an abortion. It's all coming out. There is a guy not far from here selling a complete stock rolling chassis for a '47, so if we can work out a deal it may get the nod. This is a classic example of why I try to steer inexperienced newbies away from over-ambitious projects with little to no return value.

The other rookie blunder is the paint. The green color on the doghouse is the original paint. The original paint that was on the body was still laying in piles of dust & chips on the garage floor. :mad: He stripped it all off, damaging some trim in the process and putting a hurtin' on this old gal. I could have gut punched him! Ah well. She is in good hands now, and it may not be soon but there is definitely another one saved from certain disaster here. I'm stoked... :D

46plymouth6.jpg

46plymouth5.jpg

Oh, man, but I LOVE a happy ending!:D Congratulations, B.E.D.[cl

Regards,
Shea:)

Great news. I hope you can get your hands on that other chassis now. Too bad about the damaged trim, but at least you have time to gather bits since you won't be starting on it for a while.

I bought my 37 at a redicuously low price because someone "attempted" to sub frame it with a 60 chevy stub...complete with drum brakes also. As you know 60 chevys are quite a bit wider than 37's so the front sheetmetal wouldn't fit back on the car. I knew what I was getting into as I had access to another frame.....
Don't be afraid to tackle anything but ask questions if you're not sure....remember the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask!
Oh, I've seen plenty of dumb questions asked on forums. Not here of course.[ddd

Well a little update here. I wound up getting the stock '47 chassis. It came with five original 16x4 wheels & caps and a original seat which is in really good shape for reupholstery. This was great news as well because the goofball PO had pitched my car's original seat and the wheels were long gone. Last weekend I also picked up a pair of '47 DeSoto bumpers which I think will look pretty cool on it. Tomorrow I am going to check out a running donor vehicle, and if the price is right it's coming home.

What was that I said about this thing going to the back of the line? Looks like I may have to start a build thread sooner than I thought... :p

Well the guy didn't want to deal on the donor when I went to look at it, but he came to his senses and called me yesterday to accept my offer. So Sunday morning I am going to pick up a running low mileage '71 Dodge pickup with a 318/727 combo, power brake setup, clean simple steering column and whatever else I can rob from it. It's a shame the truck is so rusty because it is bone stock unmolested with original paint. The grille and all of the stock trim is on it and in good shape, so if you know anybody looking for some Dodge truck pieces they will be available shortly. Stay tuned for a build thread... ;)

Latest posts

Back