To keep or not to keep?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lstbred

Hey guy's picked up a 48 Buick Super 8, it has the original straight 8 (non-working) and was wondering if it is worth it to have the S8 rebuilt or drop a newer more efficent motor in it? Im a huge LSx motor lover but dont know if I wanna put a efi/computer (mayby just use block and carb it) engine in it, Im new to this so I will prob have a crap ton of questions. So ALL opinions are going to be considered..lets hear it!
1. Stay original or not?
2. If not, go big or stay simple 350/350?
3. What engine will drop in with the least mods to the car?
4. If I go "newer" how much can I go to without the "smog Nazi's" in Cali flogging me?
5. Give or take what are looking at $$ wise? just ballpark ranges, I wanna make this a budget build, especially since it's my first!:eek:

You will have a pile of money in rebuilding what is quite frankly a boat anchor of an engine, so I wouldn't advise it. You have already answered your own question, especially for a "first build" - If you are on a budget and want to keep it simple then go with a SBC. Cheap, reliable and easy to maintain. Not to mention you could be driving your car a whole heck of a lot sooner.

As far as the naysayers go, not all but most people who would complain about that engine choice are armchair quarterbacks who either don't have a car on the road or have enough money not to care what one costs. I'm not either - I like driving hot rods. Get it going and have fun!

I'm not exactly sure what "SBC" is, still working on getting some of the lingo down. Only thing I can think of is Single Barrel Carb. Thanks for the help. Still looking for other opinions/options....

SBC = Small Block Chevy (283, 327, 305, 350 being the more common sizes) i agree with the Devil on this one, pull out the straight 8, put a 350/350 in it, b/c it will be the easiest swap with even the tightest budget... if you like the idea of the straight 8, save it and rebuild it as money allows... but my 2 cents is sell it to someone with deep pockets and use the funds to advance the project--like on brakes and things...

donor

find a donor car to buy fairly cheap, that way you have everything when it comes time to do the motor swap. for new hot rodders this is the easiest way to get the car running and give ya some extra stuff if ya need it.

small block chevy is an excellent choice, easy to get parts for and good reliability, add a 7OOR4 over drive and 20 miles to the gallon is easily attainable.

the after market is loaded with kits to put this motor in just about anything or if you are good at fabrication, make the mounts at home.

make sure ya have good radiator.

if you are using the stock heater and if its a 6 volt, you can get a voltage reducer to keep from frying the heater motor.

Later :cool:

While some people feel the 350/350 swap (that's a 350 sbc and th 350 transmission in case you didn't know) is overdone, there is a reason why it is so popular......actually a lot of reasons. First off they fit where lots of other engines won't, they are cheap to build and maintain, they are reliable as hell, they are pretty motors, and they are plentiful.

I do like looking under the hood of a car like yours and seeing another Buick motor in there, but as the guys pointed out, you will have a fortune in building it and won't be able to just pop into AutoZone and pickup parts when you break down 500 miles from home.

As for the smog thing, you California guys have it rough, but if the motor is sound and you run some pollution equipment like cats, you should be ok.

Don

+1 on finding a running donor car. If you can find a midsize pre-smog or early smog GM whatever, you can pull the whole V8 drivetrain and perhaps even use the rear end. You will have most of the stuff you need to make it run and also the driveshaft, which you can have modified to fit your new wheelbase. I think that car has a torque tube, so you will need a new rear axle & driveshaft anway. Even if it's tired, you can still have yourself a decent running, fun car. Motor can be rebuilt or swapped out down the road if you want.

Scrap the rest for $300 or part it out.

That's what I would to if I was new to the game (and I was a few years ago). I bought a running $1000 beater as my donor and it made my first build much easier. I would have spent more gathering parts one by one (engine, trans, accessories, etc)

i am a bad one for looking down my nose at anything with a chev 350... just because im a ford fan and have seen way to many nice fords with a chev 350 in it...... but they are very plentiful and easy to maintain engine, a good option for a first build i must admit. but something different is always a welcome decision... i am also a HD diesel mechanic, my rod is getting a 12 valve cummins inline 6 cyl diesel from a '90 dodge 3/4 ton. but why not see if you can find a bt4 cummins diesel to stick in, they came in potato chip trucks and like fedex cube trucks, also many industrial applications, it will get you very good milage and a diesel dos'nt even need electricity to run :) and in the delivery trucks they are commonly backed with a chev th350 tranny

my 2 cents
JD

ps. easy to squeeze more power out of these cummins too [cl

I'm gonna go out on a different limb.

BUILD THE LSX MOTOR!!!!

I wanted to so bad with mine, but I got too good of a deal on a SBC to pass up. I really do hope to use one in a ratrod someday though. This is what I would lean towards if I didn't already have a motor:
  • 6.0L lq9, Upgrade to ARP2000 rod bolts
  • L92 Heads, No port work at all
  • Yella Terra Roller Rockers
  • Have a cam custom ground from Shawn at Virginia Speed

Run an Edelbrock 28457 intake:
28457.gif

For your ignition, I would go with a front driven distributor. Two ways to do this. Either with a conversion cover so you can actually run a standard style distributor:

nal-88958679_w.jpg

Or with a front mount based off your timing chain:

8510_full.jpg

At this point, it would not look like a modern motor but it would definetly make people stop and try to figure out what it is. "Is that a Ford motor? It's got the fron distributor..." Also, the 500+ HP wouldn't hurt.

Just my humble opinion! [cl

Thanks guy's, some good stuff here. I think the donor car idea (especially for a newbie) is the best idea. Im thinking some big boat that comes close but not over the smog date, just FYI, I hate smog, I dont believe in gross polluting but Cali is so over board its ridiculous. I should be able to swap stuff over and not be TO complicated....ya right! lol

what to do?

It might be worthwhile to find out why the straight 8 isn't running. A $1.98 set of points might get you out cruising and you could throw the swap cash at some air bags and be done.

If you want to run a modern o/d auto trans. with the str8 8, the adapter kit is $995 and worth every penny.

The best source for Buick info I have found is http://www.teambuick.com . The inliner fever there is infectious so be careful.

Last edited:
Just a heads up, your '48 is smog exempt in California. You won't have to deal with that at all. It's actually pretty straight forward and easy to get it registered also, with or without a title. DMV has a pamphlet that spells out what you need to do to register it.

Good luck, Keith

Keep It

I would use straight 8.
I was talking to a guy at car show who had his car street rodded but it still had straight 8.
He said he fixed rest of car first and started driving it while looking for V8,but the straight 8 got so much attention he decided to leave it.[dr
Says it runs fine.

Donor vehicle example

I have been looking for my first project, and have not come up with the truck yet. In my travels I ran accross a 2wd 1/2 ton 73 chevy truck. It was pretty rusty, and rough, but ran well, and was complete. I paid $350.00 for it. I kept the 350 motor, trans, power steering pump, colum, radiator,and seat. I sold the glass to a freind for $125.00, and $50.00 for the tailgate . I got $325.00 for the rest of the truck at the scrappers.

I am sure I could have saved more but I am uneducated in the art of raping [ddd I am pleased to have a solid motor, tranny, parts, + $150.00 cash for the trade of my time to dissasemble.

I do not have the experience to advise you as many others here on this forum can. I just wanted to tell you what I decision I have made for myself based on my budget, and local advice. I am sure once I build, I will build again. For me, I have decided that my first project needs to get running with the least expense, and the most reliability. I see Craigs list full of projects that some bite off too much and cannot finish.

Jim

engine choice

I would also try to get the straight 8 to run, it may be a very simple fix, too many people these days go overboard on trying to figure something out, gotta rebuild everything there, and then find out the points are closed, or the condenser is shot. you need 3 things to make it run, compression, ignition/timing, and fuel, thats it. If you want to swap, don't overlook the full size chevy vans, most from the 80's and early 90's had 350 / 700r4, you can pick them up dirt cheep use all kinds of parts from them, cut lot's of sheet metal from them to make patch panels, and still get most of your money back at the scrap yard. plus maybe a cool couch/bed for the garage :D

It sounds like most of the opinions are based on the ease of installation and parts availability. What if you had a good running Buick 8 and wanted to be a little different would it be worth purchasing? I saw one local to me for sale that has a You Tube video of it running. What amount of money should i offer? All opinions are welcome as i dont have any vehicle to put this engine in currently.

Latest posts

Back