To 'Vette or not to Vette???

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

29desoto

Outside Rose Lodge, OR, which is outside Otis, whi
That is the question. Here's the deal. Never owned one. Kind of like 'em, but with kids, wifes, motorcycles, cars, etc just never did it. All of the above excuses are gone.

Guy I have been talking to for a while has an 88, white, red interior Corvette, with 70K on it. He freely admits it is a lemon. Tried to get it covered under the lemon laws, Chevrolet beat him down. It's just sitting he's afraid to drive it.

Two major problems with it - some gremlin in the ECM or nearby. Will fail to start. Will start, drive for miles, die. Tow home, two days later, starts right up. Replaced ECM twice. No clue.[ddd

ABS brakes are hosed. Car will not pass any inspection that includes driving on that skid plate and hitting the brakes.

OK - Now, I live where there are not any emission or safety inspections. I think I could get this sucker, throw the ECM in the sh..can, and wire it like a rod. Switch to distributor and such.:D

Looked at the ABS system, and I think it could follow the ECM to the can, and I pipe it directly from master cylinder to the wheels.[ddev

Am I nutz? Tell me the problems you see. With the economy in Obama land, the car will not sell for squat, especially since the guy admits its a lemon. (but NO NO NO mechanical problems). Whatcha think?:confused:

If I remember correctly, that era Vette had the starting problems you mentioned. A guy I knew had one and he never knew when it would do it, but he had it towed a lot of times. He spent big money to try to fix it because his Wife drove the car a lot and was raising H because of the problem. He finally sold it. I worked with his Wife and lots of days she was stranded trying to leave work when the thing wouldn't start.

I'm sure the Vette forums have addressed this problem and probably have a cure, you might want to look there.

Don

Heck if its cheap enough it might be worth it for the drive train and rear end. Or what kind of body could you put on the frame??:D:D

I've had a couple of Vettes in the past. Liked em. Can't say I ever get another one.

If it's cheap enough.

I'd keep the fuel injection, but chunk the factory wiring and wire it like a street rod.

Same for the brakes.

I want to do the same thing with a big BMW that has had water damage.

I have a (C5) 99 Vette and I love it. A friend of mine had a C4 Vette but I can't remember what year. He didn't have any problems with his and enjoyed it. If you can pick up the car at a fair price and you think you can remedy the gremlins, I say go for it.

Just sold my 77 about an hour ago!:confused: had to sell due to moving and not having enough garage space in the new place yet. Very sad to see it going to a new home, I've had it for 17 years....CR

About the time I forget just how useless they are (to me that is) I build one to refresh my memory, here's my last one...

vette01.jpg

I had a 80 coupe and like Tirediron said they are about useless. I think that generation vette had a problem with whats called VATs??, it's a anti theft device and can be bypassed easily. Everybody should own at least one so you'll get over the desire to have one!![cl

Yeah sure!

I had a 80 coupe and like Tirediron said they are about useless. I think that generation vette had a problem with whats called VATs??, it's a anti theft device and can be bypassed easily. Everybody should own at least one so you'll get over the desire to have one!![cl

Thats what they told me about British cars and bikes, own one and you'll get it out of your system. 35 Years later, and I saw a TR-6 over the hills a way the other day, and I'm cursing all the parts I sold when I moved!

I guess my whole point here was could I dumb the car down, eliminate the ECM, the ABS, and just have a less powerful, less technologically advanced, nice looking ride? Still can't decide!:confused:

I don't find mine useless at all. It's my daily driver. It's supercharged, makes 540 HP, handles like a slot car, and hasn't given me any problems in the 11 years that I've owned it.

I don't find mine useless at all. It's my daily driver. It's supercharged, makes 540 HP, handles like a slot car, and hasn't given me any problems in the 11 years that I've owned it.

I agree 100%! I bought mine 17 years ago and DTPOOI! It never let me down with 1000's of miles and smiles. Granted it wasn't the fastest on the block, but I sure had fun with it. No rattles like I hear people talk about. Oh well you either love em or ya hate em![cl...CR

Latest posts

Back