Tornado Map ... Wow!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CRAZY!
I've had a few pass close to me here in the NC mountains. Close enough to do damage right down the street. What's worst though is that they happened in the middle of the night.
My local area has a phone warning system that usually calls us if the river is flooding (not usually a big deal since our house is up on the mountain), but one night, the phone rang and woke us up. My wife hit it to make it stop, but I thought (because of the storm that was going on) that maybe it wasn't about the river. I got up and checked the radar on the computer and found the warning and it was headed our way. I got everyone in the safe room and curious me went out on the porch. I could hear it, and the wind was kickin'. The next morning I went up the road about a 1/4 mile and they were clearing the trees out of the road.
That was close. I feel for those who have had the worst in the last few years.

Ive lived in Illinois most of my life, I remember when I was like 7 or 8 we had one go down the street in between the houses in our neighborhood, the house at the end of the street was the only one with any real damage...

Meanwhile, back on the farm...

tornadoes3-21px7b0.jpg

Awesome pic, Dr. Crank.

Thanks Bob.

Sorry Sam. I didn't mean to hijack your thread, just thought that image fit the subject.

Sights like that are fairly common here, and I often refer to our area as "The Other Kansas". Thankfully, our population is sparse, and most twisters come an go without death or property damage. We are keenly aware of the possibility, however. Our small city is the site of this country's worst tornado disaster, and nobody in their right mind names their dog "Toto". :D

I've lived here in Bama all my 53 years, it's no worse than anywhere else. You just have to be prepared, have a safe place to go when they're comming. I was right in the track of the F4 that went through Tuscaloosa last year, but about 4 hours before it hit. It hit the very customer that I still load out of every day. The night before and that morning, I crossed the first line of storms on my way to Memphis and on my way back to Tuscaloosa I crossed through the second line. As a matter of fact, at 5:30 that morning, one went directly over my house, sitting down about 1/4 mile later and causing some tree and rooftop destruction, it was only about 500 yards wide, a F1. Wife was at home, called me to let me know about it. I've driven through several storms that I later found out had tornadoes in them. The problem with us is the geography, rolling hills and trees, not flat land like the midwest. They can usually see them coming, us, most times we'll hear it before it ever gets in sight. I was in the storm shelter when the one came through Tuscaloosa, I had already made it home, and at the same time, we had another one go by within a few miles of us. We never saw it, but we heard it, and felt the vibrations from it. Scary!!! The classic saying is that it sounds like a freight train is close, but not exact. It's hard to describe, but for sure you feel the vibrations from them. I never want to be in a direct hit from one, but it's always a possibility in the spring and fall. You just stay prepared, know where some shelter is, watch TV and computer weather radar, and hope for the best.

At least they can sorta forecast them now. Earthquakes just happen, usually without warning. I'll take my chances knowing when a tornado is forecast over an earthquake any day!

bama your right they sorta sound like a train. we stood in my car port last year as the one that hit cordova came through, it sounded more like thunder that wasn't going away. i hope to never be in anything like this again.

Growing up in Oklahoma and lived in Nebraska for 29 years seen lots of em!
We had a few go throught the farm I grew up on. Moved to Colorado thinking I was safe- Wrong! Had a bad one about three years ago that passed with in two miles of my house and killed one guy.

Latest posts

Back