Traditional vs Rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm 69 years old and started building hot rods in the mid-50's. Most of the rods back then were pretty "ratty". It was the best a teenager or young adult could do with a hacksaw, 3/8" drill and a stick welder. Also, one dollar an hour part time jobs didn't allow for bodywork, paint and interior work. Cadillac, you are correct in that most of us would have preferred to have a beautiful, complete hot rod. It just wasn't feasable.
You could say that many of us on this site are building hot rods that pay homage to the "ratty" ones built by guys with little money and few tools back in the 50's. So, we're as traditional as anybody.:D

I'm 69 years old and started building hot rods in the mid-50's. Most of the rods back then were pretty "ratty". It was the best a teenager or young adult could do with a hacksaw, 3/8" drill and a stick welder. Also, one dollar an hour part time jobs didn't allow for bodywork, paint and interior work. Cadillac, you are correct in that most of us would have preferred to have a beautiful, complete hot rod. It just wasn't feasable.
You could say that many of us on this site are building hot rods that pay homage to the "ratty" ones built by guys with little money and few tools back in the 50's. So, we're as traditional as anybody.:D

Hate to change the subject a big buuuuut does this go to say that kids today building these low budget imports/domestics aren't rat rodders in a new era? Or modern day rat rodders? (we call em Hoodrides) Ya know, the kids riding out on cut coils, crappy primer jobs and straight pipes?

the kids building the imports are, in my opinion, doing the exact same thing my old man did with his model a, and exactly what i did with my torino, try to make it go faster, make it look different, and try to get laid :D

and as far as the cheap made in china parts thing goes, i may buy cheap parts, but i buy cheap used stuff from the junkyards. and alot of the stuff i use it american steel, like rear ends, front axles, frames, bodies, engines, things like that. i buy it from the local pull a part, simply cuz i cant justify spending 400 bucks for a rear end when i can get the same thing for 100 bucks.

the kids building the imports are, in my opinion, doing the exact same thing my old man did with his model a, and exactly what i did with my torino, try to make it go faster, make it look different, and try to get laid :D

and as far as the cheap made in china parts thing goes, i may buy cheap parts, but i buy cheap used stuff from the junkyards. and alot of the stuff i use it american steel, like rear ends, front axles, frames, bodies, engines, things like that. i buy it from the local pull a part, simply cuz i cant justify spending 400 bucks for a rear end when i can get the same thing for 100 bucks.

Thats what I was tryin to get at... Basically the kids (I, compared to some of the guys on here) are doin the same thing people did decades ago... The only real thing thats changed is the trends and the cars... The whole idea is still the same...

I loooooove goin to the junkyard... But I also love buyin new junk b/c the new stuff makes the old stuff look that much better...

Yuo, they are just the jalopys we grew up with. We built what we could with what we had, the only thing new was the oil and I'm not sure that always was, lol. Here's the first one I built when I was about 15. It was a 371 Olds with a Ford truck 4 speed. I probably didn't have $50 into the whole thing. Notice the extra long drag link made from galvanized pipe, EGAD!! And God let me live.
firstbuggy.jpg

when was that pic taken man? that thing looks very cool and extremely scary! i love it!

Around 68-69. A little later on I put 3 deuces from a J-2 on it and got rid of the barrel gas tank, beefed up the rear springs and put duals on it. this picture was when I first got it shook out. I learned a lot building that thing, like 2x4s and reddi-bolt won't hold a rear end in.lol And that old mopar cup and trunnion U-joints won't hold up to a 371 Olds with a stick shift.

as long as it's safe and not over the top artsy with tons of stupid crosses and rubber rats all over it then it's cool with me...rat rods are everywhere you go, just about every show..I saw some in Florida at the last show I was at that I loved and thought they did a very nice job and had creative ideas and then I saw others that I wouldn't even give a second glance at..it's your car if it makes you happy then it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks..I build hot rods I think I take stuff from the traditional style and a little of the rat rod style and do my thing

Something I have noticed is alot of the older Pro Street guys (myself included) from the last 25yrs are now leaning twoard the "Rat/hot rod" cars, atleast in our neck of the woods.

Latest posts

Back