Trailer wheel

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

52 fordman

Okay can you or is it safe to use wheels that are made for trailer. The wheel is rated at i think 1600 pounds. I was wondering about using them for fronts on my f1. Price is great and they will look good to. Is there a difference in how they are made for a trailer vs car/truck. They are coming off a small car trailer. No tires just the wheels.

52 fordman

Hmmm.... I'm no expert, BUT...

My take is this-I bet weight wise they'd likely handle it just fine. However, I'd be concerned about ANY sideways loads caused by cornering... Keep in mind that trailers just run in a straight line, very little sideways force on them.

I could be entirely wrong about this, if somebody else here knows better, please step in and correct me![S

Regards,
Shea:)

Trailer wheels

I was wondering about that too. But I would like to see what other guys have to say about it.

Thanks in advance

52 fordman

A good question, I just don't have a good answer, cause I don't know either.:eek:
But I do own and operate three different trailers, single axle tag, a tandem axle tag, and a tandem axle 5th wheel, all flat decks. I agree the trailer side load is minimal in a straight line, and the side load is likely similar to what the rear axle of the tow vehicle see's. But that all goes out the window the minute you back into a spot that requires a tight turn. There can be an ungodly amount of side load and stress applied where the rims flex and the tires are all bowed out of shape. A lot more than you are going to apply on a driven vehicle, even at the steering end. The 'Trailer Use Only' stamped rims seem to be a heavier built unit. The only thing I can think of, is the fact that they for the most part, bolted to a flat drum or hub. They may not clear a disc brake caliper set up. Just a guess on my part, I really don't know.[S

Trailer wheels

5 lug trailer wheels can be used on cars or pickups without any problem as long as they are DOT stamped. Tandem axle trailer wheels get a lot of side stress when making tight turns, you can see the tires really leaning on the wheels. The DOT stamp is what you need to look for. I have used the 5 lug wheels on Ford pickups over the years with no problems at all.
I have used Ford pickup wheels on trailers before and had them break under heavy loads. The wheels will generally split through the bead when really overloaded on a trailer.
That being said, I have run across wheels for those trailers that don't use studs, they use the bolts with the taper cut on them. Some of them use a different taper angle. These are dangerous to use if the wrong lug nuts are used, as they can loosen.
I would not use the little 12 inch wheels on a vehicle, they are usually only rated for 500 pounds or so.

Latest posts

Back