Trailing Arm or 4 link?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born loser

So I have a 61 Apache, on a leaf spring (rear) frame. I want to bag the rear (and prob the front later). As it sits, its got the crossmember where the trailing arms would bolt to. I would make some homemade arms/panhard and put the bags on them. Notch the frame.

Or z the frame and do a triangulated 4 link.

My question is, which would be most desireable as far as driving it on the streets? Ive built linked trucks, but only offroad-only and VERY 'slinky' so they articulate a ton. I have never messed with street driven linked suspension.

I have no problems with the fabrication. Just worried more about the performance. I know the trailing arms would be easier to setup and fabricate..
What would YOU do?:confused:

2073851820053974798S425x425Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Can't answer your question, but how about a few more pics of that truck? I love those 60's Apaches. They have the beauty of a knuckle sandwich.

Can't answer your question, but how about a few more pics of that truck? I love those 60's Apaches. They have the beauty of a knuckle sandwich.

Thanks Sam, thats why I like em. :D Its funny to watch the people on the road. Theres those that love it...and those that, well...dont see the beauty of the knucle sandwich!
I dont have any good pics of it, but I will snap some tomorrow..been meanin' to do that.

4-link all the way bro.Triangulated would be best,or a parallel with a watts link to stop side to side motion.will you be running bags or coilovers?

Thanks for the input. I'll be running airbags.
I just read a 6 page thread on truck arms and everyone that ran them seemed to love them and said they ride great and launch straight w/ no wheel hop.
My only concern w/ the truck-arms was pinion angle change- since the arms are rigidly bolted to the axle. But since they are VERY long, the pinion angle change would probably be minimal.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............................

Thanks for the input. I'll be running airbags.
I just read a 6 page thread on truck arms and everyone that ran them seemed to love them and said they ride great and launch straight w/ no wheel hop.
My only concern w/ the truck-arms was pinion angle change- since the arms are rigidly bolted to the axle. But since they are VERY long, the pinion angle change would probably be minimal.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm............................

well....as long as you set your pinion angle at ride height you should be fine.plus,like you said,with the long length the pinion shouldn't change too crazy.go for it bro!....post pics!!!!

Being a minitrucker and knowing a bit bout link setups I'd run an all forward 4 link and put the bags on the lower bars and attach em to the frame. That will give you the best ride quality and overall lift out of the bags... I recommend a Slam Specialties re7... They're great double covulated bag... If you're looking for kits for 4links I can give you a ton... Heres a few to start you off...

Grantkustoms.com
Suicidedoors.com
Candospecialties.com
FBIMini.com
Streetnshow.com

Thanks for the suggestions. Now I am thinking a 4 link is going to be the best bet.
I am going to pick up some tube tomorrow.
Heres some pics of how it sits now. Shaved handles, dropped(but not enough yet!), 350/700r4, smoothed out/welded hood lines, frenched bucket seats....

So I just went to 4wheelparts down the road, looking for some bushings for the ends of the links. they guy says "we might have something in the back" and comes out w/ bushing sets and inner sleeves that will press into 1.5" OD 1/8" wall tube.
The kicker was when I asked "how much?". He said "how about 10 bucks?"..........for 4 sets!

Will that work for the ends? They are the red poly. Dont know if I need a more flexible joint on 1 end....

*drools* Omg 10 bux for 4 sets of poly bushings?!?!?! I'm seriously settin here drooling... Wow great find man... Did you get a chance to check out any of those links I posted? They have a lot of really inexpensive universal 4-link kits...

i carry a universal 4 link that i can do for 265.00 + shipping

Universal Triangulated
4 Link Kit Adjustable 3/4-16 RH rod
ends, 1" 3/16 wall tubing (2) 36"
bars (2) 24" bars, 1/4" thick tabs,
grade 8 hardware

oh yea! damn!the FBI has some GOOD deals. :)
so does SD- I knew about them.

Might be just as cheap to buy a 'kit'.

I tend to stray from FBI, their CS sucks... I like SD but then again, rumor has it they aren't making their own stuff anymore... FBI, SD, Cando, and a few others order the majority of their stuff from the grand daddy of minitruckin, Grant Kustoms...

I tend to stray from FBI, their CS sucks... I like SD but then again, rumor has it they aren't making their own stuff anymore... FBI, SD, Cando, and a few others order the majority of their stuff from the grand daddy of minitruckin, Grant Kustoms...

Yea, it all looks the same to me.:confused: The links seem kind of thin/weak to me too. SD does offer some beefier stuff. FBI has that stupid club discount thing going on..I was thinking 'good deal' till I realized what was up w/ that.

Basically they sell the parts for what they get em for... But they make money off of people getting the membership... A friend of mine bagged his truck and took him almost 2 months to get everything from FBI...

Oh! I forgot to mention, check out Gravity-Werx.com, they don't build junk... They make MOST of their stuff..

Latest posts

Back