Transmission / punkin angles

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonegonzo

I'm installing my drive train and need some advice .

I've always heard thet the transmissiom output shaft should be set at 3 degrees negative and the punkin hub should be at 3 degrees positive . Is this correct ?

Is there a simple formula for obtaining this ?

Thx ,
Gonzo

Just equal but opposite angles. 3 degrees is a good staring point. Just get an angle protractor with a level and measure the back of the transmission or crankshaft and then the u-joint flange on the rear pinion.

Someone will always say have the rear pointing down but that is only for an all out drag race car.

DMW ,

So the 3 degrees doesn't need to be on the pinion as it is on the transmission ?

Will 3 degrees on the trans and 0 on the pinion fall withing tolerences ?

Thx ,
Gonzo

DMW ,

So the 3 degrees doesn't need to be on the pinion as it is on the transmission ?

Will 3 degrees on the trans and 0 on the pinion fall withing tolerences ?

Thx ,
Gonzo
I'm not DMW but, what he said was 3 degrees is a good starting point and the normal most of the time.
The rear pinion angle needs to be the opposite of the tranny and match the degree of angle as close as you can (within 1 deg +/- of the tranny) is ideal.
I personally wouldn't run the rear at the 0 deg, it's hard on the joints.

Trans and pinion projected centerlines optimally should be parallel. To get that with the pinion rising under torque I set the pinion angle down 1 to 2 degrees depending on if it's leafs or four link.

Don

Latest posts

Back