transverse to single airbag

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thigh19

Got inspired at this years Hot August Nights.
Noticed a few rats with single air bag up front.
Got home and took my transverse leaf of and installed a single airbag. This is a speedway 4 inch drop kit with hairpin link suspension. My question is do I need to run a pan hard bar. Didn't notice them on the rats I studied but maybe I just didn't notice.

Just by your description I would say yes. The spring kept side to side movement to a minimum but an air bag wil flex several inches side to side causing all kinds of death wobbles! :eek:

What about a piece of trianglulated chain. Tight when inflated, but would allow movement. To the axles on the end and above the bag in the middle?

One last thing, the push-pull steering limits left hand steering. It's .120 1 1/4" tube. Can it take a bend by the tire?

Definitely you need a Panhard bar and as BlueNorther said, a sway bar would be a very good idea as the single bag will make it very tippy. At the very least, some stiff shocks - those friction shocks won't cut it on their own. However they could be used as the end links on a splined sway bar...

Think I wouldn't run a single bag.... Way too tippy..... but. if you must. panhard for sure. and as zz said REALLY stiff shocks! Mine are rancho adjustables....

How are we all skipping past the comment about his drag link hitting his tire when turning????

This is not ok... There is something wrong in you geometry if it contacts the tire... You probably need to make a longer steering arm for your spindle...

I definitely wouldn't run a single bag up front... Althought my truck isn't on the streets yet... I have two bags up front only about 19" apart and body roll is a concern to me... I think I will have to run at a much higher pressure than I would want to from a stance perspective to control the body movement

I wouldn't but that s just me

Panhard and swaybar for sure, but I wouldn't trust it for more than in town slow driving, And I would stay clear of highways. Plus you are now single point loading your axle, not good.

Listen carefully to Corpo and Mike....they both make very good points....anything that interferes with tire rotation is bad, and that tube axle loaded in the center is NOT what they were designed for....especially now that it's had your bracket welded there.....not trying to beat you up, just trying to keep you and everyone else on the road safe......

Please rethink....

Okay. With all the advice and the cons with going to a single bag, I've gone back to the transverse leaf suspension. Thanx to all and their feedback.

You might be able to run the bag with quarter elliptical main leafs or maybe even only the main leaf of the transverse and use the bag like a helper spring? Like was mentioned, that might still put too much stress on the center of the axle - you'd probably need to get the forces out of the middle of the axle somehow or beef it up.

Just a few thoughts....

Back to transverse leaf and also corrected steering issue by installing a longer upper steering arm.
now a new problem. Not much suspension movement. Didn't expect much from this system but am worrying about the spring and axle bottoming out on the frame. Is there anything wrong with running air shocks on the front?
coilover shocks would be the best but cost is a factor.
Portland swap meet is coming up so I might find a reasonable pair there,but not counting on it.

I don't see the point of this type suspension set up . Next to a properly set up old style front end ( dropped axle , transverse spring . cool looking spring perch etc .) it just looks butt ugly .

Back to transverse leaf and also corrected steering issue by installing a longer upper steering arm.
now a new problem. Not much suspension movement. Didn't expect much from this system but am worrying about the spring and axle bottoming out on the frame. Is there anything wrong with running air shocks on the front?
coilover shocks would be the best but cost is a factor.
Portland swap meet is coming up so I might find a reasonable pair there,but not counting on it.

No matter how cool your rat looks , if it don't ride good it ain't gonna be fun to drive . I have a 47 AD pickup with front air bags . It rides real nice . After not being satisfied with the ride quality produced by the straight axle , transverse spring on my rat , I bit the bullet and installed some Billstein shocks .
Rat now rides as good as the bagged 47 , best 300 bucks I ever spent . I have never talked to a guy with billstein shocks on his ride who was not 100 % satisfied with his investment . Ride quality and safety are 2 areas where it does not pay to go cheap .

Latest posts

Back