Treetop's Roadster Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treetopflyer

Alright, here it is. This is my first ground up build ever. I've done a custom before so now it's time for a hot rod.

The body is a 'glass 23-25 body (I know, I know). I got it from Bear's parts on the auction site. You know the old saying, you get what you pay for. In this case, I didn't. I got more than I paid for. This body is from a quality mold and I couldn't be happier with it.

The frame. I'm on the fence right now about the frame. I'm thinking it will be to wide just past where I believe the engine will stop. I say believe because the frame is in my In-laws garage in Kansas and I am in Connecticut. So I may be getting some tubing and building my own. Does any one know where I can find tubing in CT? Haven't been here long and don't really know the area.

The engine and trans. A belly button 350 with a turbo 350 backing it up. Scored it from a kat I work with for 200. Came from a running truck. Engine looks rough but it runs well. That's all I care about. It will have some dress-up parts like Olds Rocket valve covers, Caddy Bat-wing air cleaner and such. Just want it to have a vintage look and feel.

Exhaust. Capped Lake headers with Smithy mufflers

Interior. Pretty basic really. Brown material all the way through with some body color touches here and there. Speedometer from a 1948 Plymouth with a yet-to-be designed dash. Home built seats.

Wheels and tires. Painted steelies with Firestone 6.70-15 Bias ply with wide whites.

If a glass body is outside the realm of this forum, let me know and I'll sit back until I can find a steel one.

Attachments

• tbuild5.jpg
    tbuild5.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 54
  • tbuild1.jpg
    tbuild1.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 56
  • tbuild2.jpg
    tbuild2.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 50
  • tbuild4.jpg
    tbuild4.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 50
  • thisone.jpg
    thisone.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 58
  • tbuild3.jpg
    tbuild3.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 64
I built a mock up frame so I can see how thing will work when I get the real frame. It turned out pretty good I think. At least this way I can have the feeling of moving along. Also, I spent today strengthening the floor and getting the dash board started.

I tried to post some pictures for your viewing but it said I had a security token missing. [S

Happy New Years!

Fiberglass is cool

Nice project.I like glass bodies as well as steel.
In fact my current 1927 ford woodie build on here is using a glass cowl out of the mold my late father built off a perfect steel cowl with 4 inch chop.
Looking foward to seeing your progress.My build has all but stopped.No steady job and just found out my summer part time job is gone too.
Good luck with your build.Looks like a nice project.

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. I hope that things work out for you on the job front. I know the feeling. I was there for about two years (2010-2012). Do you have any pictures of your build?

Remember, any work you do is getting it that much closer to being done.

Latest posts

Back