Triangulated 4 Link question

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustylocke

Can anyone tell me the angle the upper bars should be on a Triangulated 4 Link? Also I am using Heim joints. Good idea or bad?

From the side view, the bars of a four link should, if projected forward, intersect with your center of gravity, which is typically the top transmission bolt. From the top view the Double V shape should be easy to see.

My top bars will be the opposite of your picture. My clearance is tight and I am wondering if I will have enough angle to do any good.

IMG_4907.jpg

If you can get more angle on the uppers it will be better, though what you are showing is probably no less angle than this pic, and this suspension tracked perfectly. I've done double triangulated setups before, where the upper and lower bars are angled in opposite directions but saw no big advantage in stability, though it does get in the way of the exhaust more.

Attachments

• dec 5 09 rat 55 010 a.jpg
    dec 5 09 rat 55 010 a.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 72
If i am reading this right your wanting to run your upper arms with the frame side together and the axle end spread out? If this is correct, I would advise against it. This will not give the car a good ride at all. You will fight the geometry all the way It is completely backwards by design from what you should to to have a good time and most important, to be safe. A triangulate 4 link is a very delicate thing that can easily be slopped together with basic rules that don't even apply to the rodding world, or dig up a calculator and learn about squat and anti squatas well as weight balance and c.o.g. line. Triangulated 4 link is an off road thing and should be design as such. Your building a ratty, you have room for a 4 link I suggest you build a parallel 4 link with a panhard, rather that a triangulated 4 link, pm me wee can discuss more

With this design you have eliminated the strength of the angle and put all the side stress to the nose area.

Attachments

• IMG_2470_zpsf60c1461.jpg
    IMG_2470_zpsf60c1461.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back