Tubing questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbj188

I was wanting to use some copper tubing on my engines...was wandering if copper tubing is ok to use and where and where not to use it...I was wanting to make my engine compartment a little more pleasing to the eye. The engines i want to use it on is a 235 straight six for my rat rod and either a 327 or 350 for my 65 gmc. Any thoughts or comments will help.

Thanks,

Thomas[;)

I've seen it used as cooling plumbing, fuel lines, as covers for wires. You could also use it for vacuum lines, with rubber tubing on the ends.

Anything that isnt high pressure like brake lines should be fine. Post some pics of your work!

thanks for the responses....as soon as I get around to it I will post some pics... What is the best tubing for brake lines?

basically you should use what is spec'd for brake lines, some are regular steel tubing, some stainless steel. Best bet is to just buy lengths of it from the parts store, and cut to length, and flare the end.

basically you should use what is spec'd for brake lines, some are regular steel tubing, some stainless steel. Best bet is to just buy lengths of it from the parts store, and cut to length, and flare the end.
Be sure to double flare the ends too.

I've learned the hard way that the best thing to do is buy the pre-flared lengths from NAPA and then just assemble them. I've had several flaring tools that all are super frustrating to use. Unless you get a $200 one, they are tricky.

They come in various lengths. Measure out what you need, go get the lengths. Buy some brass connectors to assemble 2 shorter lengths into a length close to what you need if there is not a single length in the size you need.

If it is a little too long, bend a U in the line (with the dip going down, not up) to shorten it. I've done it this way on the last 3 cars and have had leak-free setup the first time!

Latest posts

Back