Tubular control arms in Chevy C10 worth it?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt's37Buick

1) Can anyone tell me if upper & lower tubular control arms in Chevy C10 worth the cost?
2) Do they really improve handling like the manufacturers claim?
3) In order to lower a C10, are lowering control arms a better way to go, or drop spindles.
Thanks for your help

I put them on my Nova & Chevelle. It slightly changes the geometry for the better IMO & put them on my latest build too. They are less flexible & give a better feel but again... just my opinion!

BoB

i would say money well spent! they come with better bushing and new ball joints already installed also, besides being stronger and better goemetry as Tripper stated! i have a new set of uppers and lowers going in my 51 henry j that is on a s10 blazer chassis.

I frequent 67-72chevytrucks.com and those guys swear by them for performance.
They usually use them in conjunction with drop spindles.
I understand that in auto cross venues, you need to move the ball joints around a bit to get the desired handling that tracking a truck requires. One of the members, who is currently beating the miata class in his 50's Chevy, says you need to move the lower ball joint back 3/4" to really wake these trucks up and still be streatable.
They are, however, EXPENSIVE, for what they are!!!
Porterbuilt is making some seriously nice stuff for these trucks and I would lean heavily to their setup as they have done some serious research and engineering on everything they build.

jlmcolorado,
Think you may be the first to answer me from my home state of Colorado.
Thanks so much for the lead on Porterbuilt arms.
These are the first ones that I've seen can be ordered longer than stock Chevy C10 length.
By my current calculations I will need lower arms to be 2" longer than stock '72 C10 lower arms.
1) Does anyone know what the ratio of the upper to lower arms should be or should I just use the ratio of stock arms?
2) Does anyone know of other manufacturers that will supply a custom length for cost comparison?
Thanks
Mutt

I have a complete Global West tubular a-arms and tall spindle kit in my Chevelle. It handles way better than a big car should![cl

I put Global West arms on my Chevelle too & one other kool thing it did was give me a much better turning radius! Also, put huge 4-link bars on too instead of those flimsy stock units! What a diff!!! :D

BoB

remember when you lower a C10 you usually have to move the front cross member forward to center the wheels in the wheel wells.

I put Global West arms on my Chevelle too & one other kool thing it did was give me a much better turning radius! Also, put huge 4-link bars on too instead of those flimsy stock units! What a diff!!! :D

BoB

I lost steering radius with mine but I went to an AGR 12:1 box with B-Body spindles. Doesn't matter though with Herb Adams sway bars (1 5/16 f and 1 1/2 r) just use a little more throttle angle to tighten up the turns!
[cl[cl

jlmcolorado,
Think you may be the first to answer me from my home state of Colorado.
Thanks so much for the lead on Porterbuilt arms.
These are the first ones that I've seen can be ordered longer than stock Chevy C10 length.
By my current calculations I will need lower arms to be 2" longer than stock '72 C10 lower arms.
1) Does anyone know what the ratio of the upper to lower arms should be or should I just use the ratio of stock arms?
2) Does anyone know of other manufacturers that will supply a custom length for cost comparison?
Thanks
Mutt

Colorado rocks! Now get out there and utilize this perfect weather for grinding and welding!!! [cl

Latest posts

Back