tuck-n-roll????????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chopper tom

Way too young to be a hippy!
I would like some info on true tuck n rool upholstery?[history ,how to 's ,pro's and con's]I'm thinking of haveing my 50 seat done in black .
Of caourse would love some pic's if ya can!!!!!!!
Ive always wanted tuck and roll !:cool:

Can't help much, other than I like it to. When I was 16 I bought a 55 chevy 2 dr ht from a friend of my uncle. The 327 had a rod knocking in it. BUT he had takin the car to old Mexico and had ALL the interior done in black leather tuck an roll. Seats,top,doors,and even the dash. I got the car for a 100 bucks. I put another 327 in it and sold it for 400 what a dumb ass. At that time I had 4 of them. Sure wish I had them now. OH and a 37 Plymouth pickup. Those were the days.:eek::eek::eek:

This was the interior in my 32' 3 Window. It's a semi tuck'n roll. This tuck'n roll is was made from thick form. Then stitched across to form the rolls. The rolls are then stitched to the smooth leather.
DSC00036.jpg

BUT he had takin the car to old Mexico and had ALL the interior done in black leather tuck an roll. Those were the days.:eek::eek::eek:

MAN....Did you bring back some old memories of cruising down to Tiajuana, Mexico from the Monterey Bay area and getting a good and cheap (i.e. inexpensive) upholstery job. You hit the nail on the head when you wrote "Those were the days." And for me this was in the 70's.....I can imagine how much better/funner it was in the 50's and 60's.

Now back to our regularly scheduled broadcast...............

To quote our ol mia friend Foolonthehill, not tryin' to hijack the thread, but got a funny story about Tijuana upholstery job.

'bout 1965 my neighbor visits his brother stationed in San Diego, drove his 56 Vette because he wanted to get the interior done on the cheap in Mexico, wanted it done in red metal flake vinyl(that word never looks right), you old guys like me remember the flake interiors. Anyway goes to TJ, guys had told him ya gotta stay with the car to make sure theres no funny business.
So he pays no heed to the words of wisdom. He and his brother tour the town have some beers etc.

Gets the car heads back to Diego, drops off his brother and heads back to the Pacific NW. Don't know how far he got before a strange odor appeared. Well long story short, they had used chicken feathers with pieces of the chicken still attached to add to the padding(cost savings measure). Needless to say the upholstery job on the cheap ended up more expensive than anticipated.

A guy I know in High School took his 57' Chevy to TJ for an interior. He was actually a Mexican national and his family lived there. He dropped the car off and they said it would be done in a week. Went back a week later and they said, "What 57' Chevy?" He never got the car back. He would go down there every weekend looking for it. It was the late 60's.

His Mother, who owned a hotel, came up for a visit. She was here for 2 weeks. She went back home and discovered her maintenance guy had moved into her apartment. She called the police but I guess possession is 9/10's of the law down there. Had to hire a Mexican attorney, who took all their money and never got the place back.

This was the interior in my 32' 3 Window. It's a semi tuck'n roll. This tuck'n roll is was made from thick form. Then stitched across to form the rolls. The rolls are then stitched to the smooth leather.
View attachment 10596

Looks good !Is it hard to keep clean ?did it hold up well?Do you think vinyl would hold up well as a tuck and roll job?
I'm bad to climb in my vehicles with dirty clothes on when i'm working on them.Bad habit i know.:(

I'm going to throw my two cents in here, but I'm not sure how much I'll help.
Chopper Tom....if you get Street Rodder magazine, or know someone who does...check out the November 2007 issue (got a red 36 Ford coupe and a suede black 32 three window on the cover). It's got a "how To" on tuck n roll interiors. It's typically (for most magazines) vague on a lot of info, but maybe you can pick up some useful info...OH and climbing in cars while dirty.....I wouldn't be able to drive if I didn't..either coming home from work or from my garage (rental about 4 miles away)...and vinyl should hold up good since they used it a lot for seats in the 50's and 60's

Looks good !Is it hard to keep clean ?did it hold up well?Do you think vinyl would hold up well as a tuck and roll job?
I'm bad to climb in my vehicles with dirty clothes on when i'm working on them.Bad habit i know.:(
That pic was taken after 6 years of cruising. Theres a product called "White Wizard" which works great for everything. I saw it at a home improvement show. The guy took someone in the audience's dirty white sneaker. Made it look like new. I use it for everything, including blood stains. Vinyl would hold up great. My ex-wife had a 63' Fairlane with a vinyl interior. After 15 years, it still looked new.

I am one of those guy's that knows how to do tuck and roll. I get paid to do it. About the only "con" to it is the extra cost for real tuck and roll. Gasser's trim is done using standard pleats. Nice looking interior, BTW. Love the yellow on white. Real tuck and roll involves sewing the pleats by folding the material back and sewing the folded edge down, then repeat. It takes twice as long to do as normal pleats, but the thread is hidden in the seam, and the pleats should look taller/thicker. When I want a REALLY traditional T&R job, I will sew the pleats to a backing, then stuff them individually. Makes for some really good looking results.

I am one of those guy's that knows how to do tuck and roll. I get paid to do it. About the only "con" to it is the extra cost for real tuck and roll. Gasser's trim is done using standard pleats. Nice looking interior, BTW. Love the yellow on white. Real tuck and roll involves sewing the pleats by folding the material back and sewing the folded edge down, then repeat. It takes twice as long to do as normal pleats, but the thread is hidden in the seam, and the pleats should look taller/thicker. When I want a REALLY traditional T&R job, I will sew the pleats to a backing, then stuff them individually. Makes for some really good looking results.

Now THAT'S the way I remember "tuck 'n roll".........................Good to hear someone stills does it this way.......Good luck Len

Attachments

• 0407sr_miles_12_z.jpg
    0407sr_miles_12_z.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 19
Thats what i want is not for the thread to show.
can you give some pics of examples of the back side to show me /The local shop is not really wanting to do it the old way ,they say its too much work.
But thats what i want is the old oridginal stlye.but i just dont know enough about it to make shure they do it right ,and i wanna get my moneys worth 'so to speek'.

Sorry for not responding. My settings were wrong for email notices. I dont have any pics that could help, really. What you will want to look for is wether the thread is exposed between the pleats. You should see the seam, but not the thread if you pull at the sides of the seam.

Here is the only pic I have on my PC of some T&R. The inserts in this vette are tuck and roll.

Attachments

• Int-P1013184_s.jpg
    Int-P1013184_s.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back