Tunnel ram

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankr

My buddy's 39 Chev coupe runs a stock 350 small block Chevy. He just got a deal on a fully polished high rise tunnel ram intake. The carb would sit about 4 or 5 inches higher than normal. The intake looks awsome so he wants to put it on his stock 350 engine. We don't want to waste an intake gasket so, can anyone tell me if the engine will run OK with this intake?[S
FrankR
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi

intake

it will run ok, but hes gonna notice a huge difference in low end power. moving the carb up away from the normal, increases when the power band comes in. so that hard bang right out of the hole may be gone.

we all know basic engine performance 101 an engine is designed with several parts made to work together at certain ranges ect.ect. so changing just one item will effect power and not always in a good way.

to lessen the effects run a small carb like a 600 vac secondary or something similar, i have also used the wire mesh intake gaskets between the intake and head to keep the fuel atomized and from puddling you may want to polish up the inside and remove any edges that can alow fuel to "load up"

dp1

Thanks for the info Dogpatch1. My buddy doesn't have a heavy foot on the pedal, so power loss out of the hole will probably go unnoticed by him! I have never seem those wire mesh intake gaskets but, i will inquire about them.
Thanks again.
FrankR
1934 Dodge 392 Hemi

I have run a tunnel ram on a 350 for a long time, I love it! Dogpatch is right about the lowend loss though. I'm not sure about a stock 350 with one, I think it may be a little too much carb for that setup.[S..One way to find out!:D..That's what makes us hotrodders, right?.I used the wire mesh gaskets too, then I had to switch back to the stock ones..didn't notice any difference, they have been on there about 3 or 4 years now.......CR

A tunnel ram on a stock engine? [S

A tunnel ram intake, depending on runner length, will move the powerband up further in rpms, let's say the tunnel ram's happy place is 2500 rpm's to 7500 rpms.

Your buddies stock engine range starts just off idle..... Also consider a stock cam profile is not going to open the valves enough to supply sufficient air at tunnel rams ideal operating range....

Respectfully, I would build the engine to be run with a tunnel ram intake- compression, cam, valvetrain, cylinderhead portwork, ect, ect....

It will end up being a "dog" in my opinion, on a "stock" engine.

[P But then again this Pookie likes to wrangle every last bit of potential power.[ddd

It will work on a stock engine but I would run a smaller carb like a 450 to 600 cfm. I got a dual 4 tunnel ram I'm puttin on my old hobby stock motor. It's 9:1 flat top and I'm gonna run 2 2bbl carbs which will put in the 600 cfm range. Biggest thing I've been told is that fuel atomization and idle can be an issue for street use.

Latest posts

Back