turnsignal/ flasher/ brake question, lol

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deerchooper

i got an electrical question.

i have this wireing harness, with this turn signal switch. i think i have it figured out but i would like to check with you guys.

it is throwing me off because of 2 things.

1. my harness has a turn signal flasher and a hasard flasher circuit. the turnsignal switch is old school with the hasard switch in it. could i get away with just using 1 flasher circuit?

2. the brake light switch that goes into the turn signal switch. i would assume that this would canncel out the turn signal to that side so some one know that your turning right and stoping, right?

close013.jpg

Turn signal switches are all about preventing back feed to the other lights. Particularly the brake light. I'd try to find the schematic for that particular turn signal.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish, but the hazard and signal circuits need to be separate. Again, it's a back feed issue.

EDIT: Re-read that. You should be able to use the wiring diagram for the switch (on the box) and ignore the harness hazard circuit. There might be a problem with the flasher size and the load. You may have to hook the signal up using the hazard flasher?

Thats an aftermarket add on blinker switch so you can follow the box directions like Sam_Fear suggested.
A normal set up has separate circuits so the hazzards are all time hot(can be on with key off) and the blinkers(with key on). Its power goes through the brake switch then the blinker switch so when the brakes are on the blinker still works.

1 more thing, what type of round flasher do i use for led lights?

I think that blinker switch has a built in flasher because its an add on, so it doesnt use the one in the fuse panel.They make electronic replacements that will work for LEDs

I think that blinker switch has a built in flasher because its an add on, so it doesnt use the one in the fuse panel.They make electronic replacements that will work for LEDs

If you look at the switch box it shows an external flasher unit. My guess is it takes an external unit.

If you look at the switch box it shows an external flasher unit. My guess is it takes an external unit.

Oops.LOL but the unit is prewired so it should be easy to swap an electronic flasher instead of the old bimetal ones.

You are gonna need to get a curcuit board type flasher not a load sensing flasher unless you wire in a lamp under the dash with a standard bulb to create a load

Latest posts

Back