Two Link/Bar Rear Suspension

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YoungBlood

I have heard from several rod builders that 2 link rear set up's aren't the way to go, which I can understand to some degree, a 4 Link would be preffered.

But whats the real problem with a 2 Link set up? If you ran a 2 Link with a Pan Hard bar and Coil Over shocks -- wouldn't that be enough for a 1800 lb (with driver) rat truck for rear suspension?

What is it that I'm not seeing? Is there an issue at high speeds? Bump issues? Longevity issues?:confused:

I'm sure this isn't the case, but does the pan hard bar not work as properly to avoid shifting of the rear?

I saw a Model T build that a guy used a 2 Link set up with Pan Hard bar at a car show. He wasn't there to talk to, but he obviously made it to the show.

Is a 2 Link with a pan hard considered a 3 Link???

I am new to this as anyone was, so I want to clear it up with y'all.

Thanks,
Tyson

Last edited:
2 link..

Here is my set up, the only problem i have ran into with "2 link" set ups with one panhard bar is that when the suspension compresses and rebounds the rear axle moves left and right, can be a problem if you have a tight fit with tires ect.. What i have is basicly a watts link set up with ZERO side to side movement of the rear axle..Sorry pic is kinda grainy just one i found real quick i think i took it with my phone.

Attachments

• phone 010.jpg
    phone 010.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 147
Youngblood, If you go to the Builds Section and look for the build of "1925 Dodge aka Big Dodge" you can see another 2 link set up. I see nothing wrong with a 2 link. Keep the links as long as you can to minimize the pinion angle change as the suspension goes up and down. Use large, soft bushings on the front of the links to allow for some twist when going up a driveway at an angle, for instance. Keep the panhard bar as long as possible or do as M@Rod did and build a very effective Watts link. Happy building.
Bob

The "problem" with parallel "2 link" or Ladder Bar rear suspension,
is the body can't roll.The rear end housing acts like a huge sway bar.

Sooner or later,something will break.

The common GM truck arm suspension,uses very long links
which come together at the front.The arms are able to twist
when the body rolls.

If you are gonna go 2 link, copy the late 60's chevy truck suspension. The links need to be twisty I-beams and not round or square tube. Also the links need to angle inward at the front with the front link mounts as close together as possible.

Ladder bars/ and ladder bar type links don't have any business being anywhere other than a flat drag strip. Eventually something will break if you run them on uneven surfaces.

Latest posts

Back