under slung front end....

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uponone

Hey guys....im new...bought a 40 chevy pu that im building...i have a few questions that i hope you could answer....

Runing an underslung parallel front end.....was wondering if there was an easy way to run disc's up front with a newer dodge bolt pattern....i want to run the 20inch spares that come with the new dodge ram....the rim will help with the scrub line and should pretty kewl...

would i b able to find an old school tire front and back that would fit these rims??

running an underslung front end....using the springs upside down from their normal position is this a problem?? i have heard that the springs were not designed to work this way....but would it work without killing me??

I think the new Dodge uses a 5 1/2" bolt pattern,
same as the old Fords.

Some of the streetrod disc brake companies have
kits for 5 1/2"rotors on a ford axle.

The leaf spring pack needs to be reassembled , to work correctly.
Search for Underslung, study the pics. No problems.

The late model wheels might be a little wide for "old school" tires.
But they could be narrowed.

so no options for tires at all?.....wanted to use the 20"s to increase the infamous scrub line....any other options??

by the way i currently have a set of 15" artillery wheels and out back a set of 16.5 inchers....

so no options for tires at all?.....wanted to use the 20"s to increase the infamous scrub line....any other options??

Search the tire sites, see what is available, and how much $$$.
Narrowing steel wheels should be no problem.

The 20" Dodge tire are 275s, so the wheels will be too wide for "old school tires".
Run some "new school" tires, problem solved.

Last edited:
i could run new school tires but want the tread and look.....maybe a new set of rims is in order....anything else that would go with the 6 bolt chevy pattern in a tall rim?

Just welding new spring perchs on the bottom of your axle and mounting it
over the existing springs will give you a huge drop. I have seen 20 inch wheels
mounted with higher profile traditional looking tires. No doubt expensive.

no they only make the 5 nolt ones as far as i know....i was gonna match a different hub to the front axle and get a dodge rear end for the rear....but without the tires the idea looks like its goin down the drain....maybe some 17 inch artillery rims?? 20 inch fords? i dont know....

here is my 41 chevy pu i used trailer leafs and jeep 2wd xj outer c's retubed w/2x2 steel tube
IMG_1857.jpg

well looks like the idea has gone south...picked up a set of 17 inch artillery wheels and im gonna run 16s in the back.....was hoping the get some scrub line clearence.....now im just gonna keep my fingers crossed and hope i dont get a flat or i ll be sleding

Did the 2WD axles come with a square tube ?
I thought they were round.

Or did you just weld the square tube in a round hole ? :eek::D

How do the 2wd outers compare to the 4wd ?

the axel came with round tube so i went to square tube and made shims i welded in to fill the gap.

the 4wd has to run the axel stub and the wheel bearings are around 200.00 each and the 2wd is about 10.00 each

i took my truck for a 4 mile ride today and this setup worked great strait down the road no shakes. im very happy with it:)

Latest posts

Back