:: Unique 31' Ford Build ::

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great build, real interesting. Some real interesting ideas too.

Having wondered what to do for a steering column for mine, I know now, I 'll just make one. Cool. :D

One thing I see, the steering drag link, you'll see a perfect example of bump steer as you raise and lower the suspension with the air and the various parts move through their various different arcs. I made my old Morris much the same, and that jumped to the side every bump I went over.

For a pattern, I just needed the basic shape. I used foam board from the local hobby shop for the material, very easy to work with.
PB170008.jpg

PB170007.jpg

I put the pattern on top of the sheet metal, and traced out some lines. I used a plasma to cut the shapes. I also figured out which ones I could brake with a sheet metal brake.
I welded the inside seams as it went together.
PB170019.jpg

This next picture, may be hard to see. So far I have welded the inside seems, there are a couple of tacks on the outside, but what I want to show here is that the inside weld comes through and looks like a weld on the outside. I'll clean this up, and weld it on the outside as well.
PB170023.jpg

This is an amazing build thread! Awesome truck and amazing engineering and the fab skills are out of the world! Can't wait to see the end result of Boneheads gas tank! Ya'll are a dynamic duo!

I was Able to Stop By Boneheads for a Bit tha Other day...
check out his Progress... the Motor is on hold for tha moment...
so he doesnt really have to Hurry terribly bad on this Tank which is Kool, cause I cant wait to see what he comes up with for tha Front of tha Tank!
So far, It is definetly taking shape!! tha Welds are SUper Clean!! I like how he used the Metal Break for 2 of tha Corners....
Bonehead came across an older Site Glass, so I matched up some fittings, and he will be mounting a Site Glass in tha Front of tha Tank to Monitor Fuel level....
Trying to Keep it Mechanical, yet Vintage Looking is our Theme...

Jus Wanted to Say Good Job BONEHEAD!! Lookin Good![P

I cut the inlet off the aluminum radiator, and used hole saw to relocate it to a better spot the other day. My tig welds are okay, but not as pretty as I would like. I didn't take any pictures.
The engine is almost built, and the air lines are run. Hopefully we will get some pictures soon. I still have an auxillary gas tank to build. I'll get on Mike's case to post up on this build.

the pics almost made me speech less through all 16 pages. those wheels are bad a$$, but i would have left them chromed. excellent job. this is a whole nother class of rat rod. going crazy to see the finished product.[dr[dr[cl

Latest posts

Back