Updated pics of my front end/steering setup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ags111075

I know i have to change this steering setup. I wanted to do another cowl setup but from what i been reading the radius arms are not mount in the right spot. Should i change the whole front end or can i still use the axle and radius arms. The axle and radius arms are welded as one with air bags sitting on top of bars that connect the radius arms together. The spindles are connected with heim ends. I just want a safe set up. Any suggestions on a decent steering setup with minimal bump steer would be great. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20110810_074925.jpg
    IMG_20110810_074925.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_20110810_074524.jpg
    IMG_20110810_074524.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_20110810_074353.jpg
    IMG_20110810_074353.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_20110810_074340.jpg
    IMG_20110810_074340.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_20110810_074322.jpg
    IMG_20110810_074322.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_20110810_075128.jpg
    IMG_20110810_075128.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 140
Please don't take offense to this, but to be perfectly honest...I would scrap that whole front end and start from scratch. Just looking at the welds for the radius rods and axle scares me. :eek:

Cowl steering is really cool looking, but I wouldn't use that setup. Also the tie rod looks homemade. There are cool things to do to rods to make them unique...I just don't think that suspension is one of the things to play around with or take chances with unless you are highly skilled with a lot of experience.

Last edited:
Please don't take offense to this, but to be perfectly honest...I would scrap that whole front end and start from scratch. Just looking at the welds for the radius rods and axle scares me. :eek:

Cowl steering is really cool looking, but I wouldn't use that setup. Also the tie rod looks homemade. There are cool things to do to rods to make them unique...I just don't think that suspension is one of the things to play around with or take chances with unless you are highly skilled with a lot of experience.

I dont have a problem scraping everything,any suggestions for a new setup

You can go with a spring behind 4" drop I-Beam or tube axle kit with hairpins. If you want to keep the cowl steering I suggest you use a proper pitman arm and drag link with 5/8 heims or tie rod end...depending what's under the dash you might have some work to do to get that steering right.

Yeah, I agree with RAT IHC. Toss the whole setup in the scrap bin. For the love of god, don't drive that thing with heim ends holding the spindles on. They're not designed for severe lateral loads. If and WHEN the sphere pops out, the spindle's gonna leave the party in an ugly fashion. That's the most dangerous setup I've ever seen, bar none. Steering? Fail. Homemade axle? Fail. It's a deathtrap.

Get yourself a real axle. Lots of guys here can tell you how to do it right. Oh, and welcome to the club!

I would not us heim end to support the spindles. Heims are design to work with the force straight on not a side force.

I would go with a new front suspension.

One question. What is holding up that front end?

I mean that suspension looks great for a show car but not something that is driven. Like I said in your other post. Make it safe you will never regret it. We are here to help.

HOT40ROD:

I wondered too.I had to study the pics. Looks like there's a couple airbags tucked under the center.

IMG_20110810_074322.jpg

HOT40ROD:

I wondered too.I had to study the pics. Looks like there's a couple airbags tucked under the center.

IMG_20110810_074322.jpg

Those are air bags tucked under there. The air bags are on top of a flat plate of steel that's welded on top of two bars that connect to each of the radius arms

I gotta say I don't think I've ever seen a front end like that. All are right. You can find used axles all over, and go from there.

Latest posts

Back