Using a power steering box as a manual box?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmcdanl

It may be a stupid question so I apologize if it is, but is it possible to take a 67 mustang POWER steering box and run it without the pump and just use it as a manual box? I've been looking around and they seem to be cheaper and easier to find than the manual box for some reason. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Actually, a 67 Mustang power box and a manual box are the same, just the power box has a slightly faster ratio. Mustangs used a hydraulic ram cylinder / valve arrangement instead of a wet power box. It was actually more "power assist" than actual power steering. You can use the power box just like the manual, it will just be a small bit harder to turn while sitting still.

Actually, a 67 Mustang power box and a manual box are the same, just the power box has a slightly faster ratio. Mustangs used a hydraulic ram cylinder / valve arrangement instead of a wet power box. It was actually more "power assist" than actual power steering. You can use the power box just like the manual, it will just be a small bit harder to turn while sitting still.

Thanks for the response. That's the answer I was looking for. I thought that the two boxes were the same (besides the ratio) but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks again.

I've got a question about this now that I've actually run into it on my build...

The S-10 frame I'm using had all the power steering wires still intact with the
power steering box, but, I decided I didn't want the clutter of the power
steering pump on the motor, plus thought it would be cool to just have
manual steering. All I did was cut the wires and loop them together with
some tubing. Will it be a big hassle to steer now since I'm leaving the power
steering box there and looping the lines together to make it manual?

I'm just wanting to know how much harder it will be to steer compared to
having a manual box compared to the power steering one on it now.

Thanks for any help

Q Bamamav..Actually, a 67 Mustang power box and a manual box are the same, just the power box has a slightly faster ratio. Mustangs used a hydraulic ram cylinder / valve arrangement instead of a wet power box. It was actually more "power assist" than actual power steering. You can use the power box just like the manual, it will just be a small bit harder to turn while sitting still.

Thanks for the response. That's the answer I was looking for. I thought that the two boxes were the same (besides the ratio) but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks again.

That's good to know about the Mustang boxes.

S-10 will be a bear.

Latest posts

Back