V-12 Gmc

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dialup

This is my first post to the Rat rod forum. I hope this is appropriate. In the mid sixties I drove a 1962 GMC tandem axle tractor pulling lime, fertilizer and farm equipment. It had a 702 cubic inch V-12 engine and only a 5 speed transmission. The engine was really 2 V-6engines molded as 1. Look at the picture closely...it has 2 of everything an 4 heads. The transmission was its worst fault. First gear was not nearly low enough. Starting a load on a hill or soft ground was tough on the clutch. The link below has pictures of tons of old iron and tin.
I love engines. I worked for Florida Gas Transmission Company 41 years maintaining and operating large engines that pulled large compressors. Engine: Turbocharged, intercooled 8 cylinder in line, bore(15.5") stroke(22") Rpm(330) Horsepower 2000 continuous 24/7. Very heavy iron...about 150,000# wag. Crankshaft weighs 21,000#, flywheel about 10,000#. Sorry for long post.
http://www.aumannauctions.com/auction_pages/featured.php?pid=926&pic=0

Attachments

• V-12 GMC.jpg
    V-12 GMC.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 68
Welcome to the site! We have been already talking about you here. Well we talked about hooking up engines inline here. I think the picture has already been posted. So, appropriate? well, it has pistons, so sure it is appropriate. Sorry to hear about your dialup, hope it is fast enough for all the pictures we like around here.

v-12

Those sixes look like or similar to the 348-409 style engines. Would like to know more about them as I have seen several ( not mated together ) in mid size trucks. Are they a tall deck block, or a 348 configured with one less cylinder.?

Bonehead I have satellite internet just a name I took some years ago on another forum....Its 512K down. Back to the V-12. It was no race engine but the truck I drove would pull the hills here in the south great but at higher elevations the turbo'ed Cummins was king.

Those sixes look like or similar to the 348-409 style engines. Would like to know more about them as I have seen several ( not mated together ) in mid size trucks. Are they a tall deck block, or a 348 configured with one less cylinder.?

they might look close but they are nothing alike. the spark plugs go in the top of the heads beside the intake. there is a logger that has the big gmc v6 in his truck that will out pull most of the v8 trucks that he works around, if i remember right the one he has is 305 cid.

odie

Yeah, you will probably be able to buy that one at the auction. I really want the Merc Pickup they have.
I worked for GMC and those engines have always been really expensive to work on, plus they were notoriuos gas hogs. I think they were made through 68 in pickups, not sure in trucks. I have a V6 one that was a running engine when the truck was wrecked 30 years ago but had been outside since.

Latest posts

Back