v8-60 vs regular flathead - whats the difference

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Here he comes to save the day!
You all know the story but I will tell you anyway -

A budy tells me that he knows this guy that has a Topolino in his back yard and its been there for 15 years and its the guys brothers car and to just make an offer.

We go over to the guys house and as I am walking in the back yard I am thinking " Please God, dont let me want it"

The very last item of interest, and there were several, behind the garage is a rusty but complete (almost) Simca (just like a Topo with no sun roof)

And of course, I wanted it instantly.:eek:

It had a narrowed banjo rear end and what looked to be a small flathead v8.
The heads looked a little different but it just looked small.

Whats the difference between a v8-60 and a regular Ford flathead?
How do you tell the difference?

Thanks

It was Ford's attempt to create an engine that was fuel efficient and also to be sold in countries like England and other European countries where people were taxed on engine size. They were only made from 37-40, and were pretty underpowered, and topped out at about 70 mph. Cubes are 136 vs 221 and up for other flatheads.

The easiest way to identify one, aside from the smaller than regular flathead size, is to count the cylinder head bolts. A v8 60 has 17, whereas a regular flathead is either 21 or 24, depending on year.

Lots of midget racers used these as did sprint cars. A friend of mine (Bill, who owns Skanky, that rat rod roadster I have posted pictures of) has an old dirt car with a hopped up v8 60 in it.

Don

There was a 3/4 scale 32 Ford roadster at Daytona last year that was powered by a V8-60. It was really cool. The size of it was ferfect for the car. I've also seen some V8-60 powered motorcycles.

if the engine is in a simca it may be the french (i believe) version, look for cast marking that say vedette on the cylinder heads, the inners of the vedette motor are the same as the ford but they do have some outward differences, the block casting and the oil pan are different, also if i remember right they also have different carboration and ignitions,

Way small

There was a 3/4 scale 32 Ford roadster at Daytona last year that was powered by a V8-60.

That is incredible. Guess I've never seen one of those really small engines but it would probably be cool to put one in something!

ISore

Latest posts

Back