Vapor Lock cure

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cycledog

A really rusty biker
Haven't had this problem for years. We used to put wooden cloths pins on the fuel line. Don't know if this really worked. Any way here is the situation.

First of all it has been very hot for this area. When I left the GG event on both Saturday and Sunday on the way home I was getting indications of vapor lock but fortunately I got home ok.

Saturday day we got home unpacked and I went to put the car in the shop and it wouldn't start, lifted the hood and saw that the gas was boiling in the in-line fuel filter (its glass). I let it sit for a few hours and once cooled it started right up. Any cures out there?

BTW I am talking about a bone stock 48 Chev. The temp gauge, if accurate, never went over 190-200 and stayed at 180 once I was on the highway. Once the weather cools down the problem will most likely go away but it would be nice to hear some suggestions for future use.

As always, thank you in advance

C-Dog

Have you converted to 12v? If so, you could get a cheap electric fuel pump and mount it back by the tank to push the fuel to the mechanical pump. I had a Jeep CJ that would vapor lock on the highway in warm weather. We just flipped the switch to turn it on when it started to die.

Racer 32, so you used both pumps? I've heard of people going to the electric pump but I thought they usually took out the mechanical pump at that time.

Cycledog- he is right though. I had this problem with a Nova I used to own and putting the electric pump in fixed it right away. A place called Fifth Avenue Auto. Electric does offer a 6 volt electric fuel pump.

When I was chasing this problem on my Nova I talked to several older mechanics about how to fix it. One suggested insulating the fuel lines. He told me they used to wrap "tin" foil around the lines to help insulate it. I tried that and then also got some cheap foam insulation (the kind used around indoor plumbing) and put that around the lines also just to kind of help it out. When I combined that with the electric pump I nvere had a problem again although just going to the electric pump probably would have fixed it.

Jay

Latest posts

Back