VERY "OLD"smobile

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGGLES!

Last Sunday I went to watch a "Run" with a difference... The London To Brighton Veteran Car Run... no not Veterans as in Heroes but Veterans as in old cars and I mean OLD to take part in the run the cars need to be pre 1905!
Yes 19 oh 5! :eek: the oldest was a 1895 3.75hp Peugeot.

These cars are literally museum pieces, it is great to see them in action and hear them chuff along the road and the people who own them seem to have great fun driving them many are passed down through families. Cars are entered from all over the world inc the USA, Canada & Austrailia.

The run is an annual re-enactment of the 1896 Emancipation Run which celebrated the law which raised the speed limit for `light locomotives' from 4 mph to 14 mph and abolished the requirement for these vehicles to be preceded by a man on foot.

The run is about 56 miles long and not all the cars make it.

As you guys seem to like all cars I thought you might like to see my pictures... My Photobucket

anyway here is the Olds (a 1904) from the tread title.

PB020054.jpg

and a Cadillac also a 1904

PB020090.jpg

and just for good measure a rat veteran... a 1903 Crestmobile

PB020091.jpg

Hope you enjoy something a bit different...

I like the very early autos. Some of the engineering is fun to study and the overall appearance is a strange mixture of horse buggy and automobile.

Very Nice !!!

Very cool cars, hard to believe the 4mph limit with a man walking ahead.... :confused:
Glad times have changed :D
Thanks for sharring, BIGGLES. '22

Kool!!!

Biggles,
Love it... thanks for sharing! Kool that most had either bicycle or wagon wheels! When I was a boy we used to walk in front of cars like that for $$$. When they passed the laws raising the speed limit to 14... we were all out of a job! Technology!!! :mad::mad::mad:

BoB

Nowadays you can buy a Wheelchair that's faster than those.:)
Yeah my wife & I keep jokeing that we will buy his & hers granny wagons when we are older - hers will have a shopping basket and mine will be satin black with a souped up motor and alloys :D

Are you kidding me, when I was a boy we used to use a team of horses to pull cars like that out of ditches and up steep grades!
until very recently the route used to go over a steep hill and they used a landrover to pull the cars up :eek:

Latest posts

Back