VIN Verification

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pistolpete

Just wondering if there is a way I can check and see if the VIN I have received with my Model A is open and clear. Don't really want to show up to the MTO and have the VIN come back with a problem. Anyone, or anywhere that I can get that checked before heading to the registration office?

I was given the original VIN of the car, but since the engine has been replaced and the new engine doesn't have a engine number on it.
Thanks,

Just wondering if there is a way I can check and see if the VIN I have received with my Model A is open and clear. Don't really want to show up to the MTO and have the VIN come back with a problem. Anyone, or anywhere that I can get that checked before heading to the registration office?

I was given the original VIN of the car, but since the engine has been replaced and the new engine doesn't have a engine number on it.
Thanks,

don't bring the title with you, just bring the VIN and ask for a VIN check. my local one will do it if you go in person, but they wont if you ask over the phone.
also noteworthy- most states can only see what has happened in their state, so if it had a problem in another state then that may not show up at your local DMV. the good part is that they are usually too lazy to check beyond their states computer. So if even if there was a problem out of state, you still have a good chance at getting a good title.

Technically a Model A does not have a VIN. It's the engine serial number and should be stamped on the frame under the cowl on the driver's side. Most likely if it hasn't been registered or titled recently it probably is not in the system anymore.

Technically a Model A does not have a VIN. It's the engine serial number and should be stamped on the frame under the cowl on the driver's side. Most likely if it hasn't been registered or titled recently it probably is not in the system anymore.

Kinda what I figured... But in talking to the one office they were about 3 IQ points above an ape, and had no idea what I was talking about, and then proceeded to hand me the wrong registration forms. I guess I will try again and see what happens.

I was trying to avoid unbolting the body right now, as I assume I would also have to remove the fender and mudguards as well to get to the number under the cowl, and then "if" it is still visible on the frame.

Gotta love the circles they make you run... insurance won't do anything without a VIN, MTO won't do anything without proof of insurance... and thus the cycle begins.

I just started a thread in the BS section about a guy who was involved in an accident with his car. The insurance won't pay because the vin on the paperwork doesn't match the vin on the car. My Model A had a vin plate attached to the door frame, issued by the CHP. The car had come from Texas so the new owner had the car inspected by the CHP.

I just started a thread in the BS section about a guy who was involved in an accident with his car. The insurance won't pay because the vin on the paperwork doesn't match the vin on the car. My Model A had a vin plate attached to the door frame, issued by the CHP. The car had come from Texas so the new owner had the car inspected by the CHP.

That's what I am looking into, and hence my issues with the local DMV (MTO in Ontario). What it appears is that they don't do this type of thing often so unless you find someone who has done the paper work before they aren't worth talking too. Seems most of them are young and new, and have no clue about anything other then renewing your registration. We'll see I may have a line on someone that works for the MTO that can help me out... possibly.

Latest posts

Back