VW evolution!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustybeercan

Never met a beer he didn't like!
Don't get me wrong, I love bugs, ghias and buses but when I was at the book store the other night I was looking at a VW mag and couldn't help thinking the Dub scene and evolution seems stalled back in the 80's or so. I know there have been some things like the suicide front end kits and all but it seems like that scene has gone stale.

Beercan

The VW scene is a bunch of diffrent styles. I know guys that are purist and will not have any thing to do with a VW unless its all orignal. Then there are guys that want them as low and rusty as possiable. There are some high end customs out there that people have over $100,000 + in them. Volksrodders (like me)build what they want weather its a drop axle bug or a lead sled fastback and drive them. Then there are dragracers (like me again) that like to go to local tracks and go heads up agnist V8s or just like to shatter records, VW paradise run mid 6's at 215 or Eric C runs the red baron turbo bug low 8's and knocking on 7's door at 170+. I dont know why but Hot VWs magazine has been kinda stepping back a little.
Tim

I agree that the popularity isn't quite what it was at one time..........it was nuts for a while back then. One thing we have commented on is that it is rare around here to ever see one driving down the road, stock or modified. Just saw one last night though, a nice little stocker, just out for a ride.

My Son just bought one and stored it away for his next project. What is funny is that most rodders, who hate foreign cars, have a soft spot for bugs. I've had two in my life and a bunch in my Son Dan's life, and we love em.

Don

I see a few vans still, but rarely an old bug? I know they're out there, but I guess no one DD's them anymore. Then again, around here, I rarely see any old cars on the road as DD's.

i love the old volks. i've had two (a '73 standard beetle and a 71 sunroof van) both have had to be left behind in moves across country :( but they're still my favorites. got an idea for a 65-66 ghia. just need one (and a lot more fabrication experience).

I had a couple VWs, back in the 70s. A 57 Bug and a 63 Bug convertable. Those things seamed to run forever. And now I've got an old rusted 61 Ghia I'm trying to build a frame for to put my 429 Ford in. My Dad had three Ghias over the years. The last, he sold to a collector, three years ago, was a 68 Ghia convertable. He'd had it since 73 and didn't drive it anymore. Beautiful car. He had a hard time selling it because of the automatic stick shift tranny. The standard shift is worth about three grand more than the auto. California is the hot spot for VWs. There's no shortage out there.

My first car was a 67 Bug. Was from Michigan,so I had to do a bit of bodywork on it,plus some stuff for safety check.That was the first " BUILD" that I have done, and I did it myself and got it on the road.Boy that was a long time ago!

I always wanted to swap a mitsu 4g63t into one. There is a guy that drives a bug as a dd in the summer around here, he has a jetta for the winter.

I always liked the notch back. Had 58 truck. Wish I still had it.

Attachments

• notchback.jpg
    notchback.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 16
i know exaclly what you guys are talking about ive got a 1948 ford truck im trying to build and i just traded my chopper project (1972 yamaha xs650)for a junky toyota truck........and im trying to sell my beloved subaru wrx to get a 1960 beetle ragtop..............i love a all original with some patina slammed they look killer............any who ive seen a few beetls with the subaru turbo motor inthem and they FLY! i can't imagine that power in that little thing pushing 300hp easy in a 1500 pound car......

Yeah that's why I would love to use a 4g63t, my last eclipse had 375 to the wheels with a real mild build, there are some on the 1000 plus club as well but building a 500+ hp dsm isn't hard forged internals+ fp3065+e85= easy 500 +

I dont know why but Hot VWs magazine has been kinda stepping back a little.

This never occurred to me... that's where I ck in on the VDub scene. We don't have a VDub scene here or at least I haven't seen one. Like a lot of people, I too have a soft spot for them & have had several Bugs, a Ghia, a Bus & a Thing & would love to have a V-8 bug, chopped or So-Cal bug. Hardly ever see any Dubs at local shows or on the road either.

Attached is one of my fav Beetles... a V8 roadster! I would kill for one of these!!!

BoB

Attachments

• Front engine VW.jpg
    Front engine VW.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 13
The Cal-Look scene IS stuck in the 80's.
Not much different that the resto Nazis.

If you want something different, try Volksrods.com [cl

[S[S[S[S

Some sorta secret code.....keep an eye on this guy.:D

Sorry hehe, its hard to break lingo when you've been doing it since I was 16 and have built 6. But yeah vdubs of all sorts are neat, I don't care for the hardcore euro stylle like stretched tires and stuff but most others are cool.

Latest posts

Back