Want to build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j-dog

Hi I am new to this but I want to build a Rat Rod . I'm thinking of starting with a 30 something pickup I don't have anything right now and I am sure there are some way's better than others to go about this . Is there some books or video's out there to help me do some research so I don't waste alot of money and time doing it wrong . I want it to be safe and drive good .Also where is the best place to find old cabs and stuff to get started ? I will be thankfull for any help you guy's can give me.

I rode the roads looking and stopping and asking people if they knew of older car or trucks around their areas. You would be surpriced at how many people are willing to help you locate and old cab or car.

Check local boneyards and ask them also.

I also placed an add on Craiglist looking for mine.

Just keep ya eyes open and good luck.

Oh yeah, welcome to RRR. Keep us post as to what you find, we love photos.:D

There are lots of ways of making yourself smarter about this stuff. Books on chopping tops, setting up suspensions, and the like. But being where you are, get to know some of the local ranchers. They know where the old trucks are around you, and who owns them. But as for the rest, read all the build threads here and you will learn alot.

Ya I would think in your area there would be a ton of farms with old bodies just wasting away. I could be wrong but from what I see and hear all of the good stuff is out west. Good luck on your search. Keep us posted.

Welcome to RRR, j-dog. All the above suggestions are very good ways to locate your project. Tho the build & picture threads will be real valuable to help you figure out what you may want to build. Good luck on your search.

welcome j-dog, you found the right place to ask questions, like they said, lots of different builds here, sure there's something similar to what you may have in mind :cool:

Thanks for all the suggestions I will start looking for books on chopping and suspensions . I have started looking for old trucks but nothing yet I am sure that I will find something . I will let you know when I find something .
Thanks J-dog

I'm thinking a nice simple build would be a fendered truck on an old Ford courier or chevy luv frame.
Like this one.

ford57hood015.jpg

I know the cartoon trucks are all the rage but for me this truck is a nice simple to build rig that drives out well for lots of miles and gets tons of attention everywhere it goes.

Latest posts

Back