weird problem from the new guy

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40-olds

okay I never thaught I would ever be faced with a problem like this! I have had every intention to put a 303 or the like in my 40 olds however, I was talking to a buddy about helping me to find a good runner and boy did he spin me for a loop! he said why dont you just buy my 331 Hemi? I said what Hemi? he said I have one out back that I havent started in a couple years. I know most everybody is gona say something like anything is cooler with a hemi, however like I said I was realy wanting to keep it with a olds mill. He also had a cadillac 331 that made me think. what kind of problem is that you may ask? I dont know at this point? I have never built a hemi before and I would like the build to a budget. give me your feedback I'll post a few picts. so you can get the idea.

Attachments

• hemi.jpg
    hemi.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 59
  • resize9.jpg
    resize9.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 24
I'm building a 392 Chrysler hemi right now. I'll add a link to the build thread at the end of the post. What year is our hemi? 1951-1954 will have a long bell housing cast in the block that will limit transmission choices a bit. 55 through 58 has a short bell housing that Wilcap and others make a wide variety of transmission adapters for. The good news is that you can get almost any part that you need for the early hemi. The bad news is that parts tend to be expensive. If you decide to go with the hemi, I suggest talking to Hemi Hot Heads. They are good people and they have all the parts. PAW also sells hemi parts but I deal with Hemi Hot Heads for almost everything. There are adapters that allow you to run a Chevy water pump and a later model Mopar oil pump. Useable quality factory replacements for those parts can be hard to obtain.

Here's a link to my Hemi thread....................

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5295&highlight=hemi

Here's a link to the Hot Heads site if you want to poke around................

http://www.hothemiheads.com/

First i agree that an Olds motor would be appropriate especially now that the Olds line has ended :( But for the budget how about a good running motor from a cheap donor car? Even the Quad 4 makes more power than the orginal 6 or 8. Just imagine how easy that would be to fit in.(meanwhile,grab that hemi before it gets away)

A HEMI will cost you an average of $8k to rebuild or more.
A Chevy will cost less then $1k and you have more parts available.
The Olds will cost around $2k, just because......:rolleyes:

So, if you are more then willing to toss out money for other projects.....go ahead and buy that hemi.......:D:eek:

Maximo

over done

I think the Hemi is a little over done, and I do not think i would be willing to spend the bucks ona full fendered car where the engine will not be seen. I think the Hemi looks good in an open engine compartment. if it were me I would put ina small block chevy for cost sake, but by all means get the hemi if you can.

Pablo

okay Im smiling now!

well I did it now! not only did I buy the hemi but Im also just closed the deal on a 1953 olds 303 that I will be starting on the tear down sence there is no history available on that motor. WOW I didnt think that would happen! Ill post some picts of the 303 after I pick it up in the next few days. also may be looking for a set of manifolds if he cant find the ones that came off the motor.:D:D:D

question?

any body know off hand what I will be looking at for mods swaping the flat 6 3 speed for the 303 / hydromatic out of a 53 olds 88?

any body know off hand what I will be looking at for mods swaping the flat 6 3 speed for the 303 / hydromatic out of a 53 olds 88?

If you pull the front clip off the car things will be a lot easier.........The Olds has a motor mount on the front of the motor like the early Chevys. Pretty easy to make a front mount and use early style rubber biscut mounts from a Ford(Speedway has 'em). I believe the starter is on the left side and may get in the way of your steering...........If you don't have a welder(and don't know how to use one) make friends with someone that does. Take some pictures and get to work.

Latest posts

Back