Welding clamps

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Menace

Getting ready to do the chop on my Dodge and was thinking about buying some "butt" weld clamps. I've always held the part I'm welding and tacked it or used Vice-grip clamps. Just wondering what everyone else used.

Horrible Freight has the best prices on the popular Butt Clamps.
Way better than Eastwood, for the same thing.

Some guys use magnets, Vise Grips, spring clamps, Clecos, etc.

I have a bunch of clamps, all kinds and sometimes dont have enough. When you use them you will realize you need that other kind, go buy them too. Stop when you have several of all of them.

DOn't

Thanks guys, I haven't used them but I think I might give it a shot.

Boss,
I don't care for those! They leave a gap that makes it hard to weld sheet metal effectively with a mig IMO. I prefer just butting the pieces up. I threw all the ones I bought away. They do come in handy to do the relief cuts on the sides though. Just my .02!

BoB

Horrible Freight has the best prices on the popular Butt Clamps.
Way better than Eastwood, for the same thing.

Some guys use magnets, Vise Grips, spring clamps, Clecos, etc.

The Horrible Freight ones work after you throw away the the lock washer and flat washer. Magnets suck and the Eastwood sheet metal clamps are the same as HF for a lot more money. Not sure how Cleco's would work on a chop top. Don't forget a spray bottle of water to cool the welds so the metal does not shrink so bad or distort.

I have about 20 of them I'd almost give away, but then I'd need them some day:D. I agree with Tripper, the gap is too big for a Mig. I use a bunch of different clamp, I like the giant vice grip C-clamps (whatever they're called).

I've never heard of spraying the weld with water, does that work?? I hammer all my welds but still get some distortion.

Sean

I have a set of the harbor freight but clamps I use them all the time. The gap is fine, if you can weld alright... You shouldnt be trying to run a bead on sheetmetal anyway unless you like warpage...

Boss,
I don't care for those! They leave a gap that makes it hard to weld sheet metal effectively with a mig IMO. I prefer just butting the pieces up. I threw all the ones I bought away. They do come in handy to do the relief cuts on the sides though. Just my .02!

BoB

I have to agree with Bob here. First of all my Son made a bunch of them and then found them at HF cheaper and easier than he could make them, so we bought some. When we chopped my Dodge truck we ended up not using them because he likes a perfectly tight gap and these leave a little space that is tough to weld up and didn't leave the end result he likes. The concept is great and maybe in some applications they are ok, but we just do it the old fashioned way with vicegrips and various clamps, or holding it with your hand until tacked.

Don

......already planned to have a bucket of ice water and rags on hand. Did it that way on a quarter panel install, works great.

Ok, so can you explain the use of the ice water?? I have never done that - how you use it? Do you weld a section and then immediately wipe it down w/ the water? What about hammer welding - does this do away w/ ability to hammer weld?? I don't know much about such things and would appreciate you sharing the brain waves....

In the past when I have welded in patch panels usually on late model cars with much thinner sheet metal.. I just tack it here and there untill the entire thing has been welded on, while cooling it with a damp rag... running a straight bead on the sheet metal would warp the **** out if it.

And when welding 18g ductwork, it would warp running a straight bead, but didnt matter much because it usually isnt going to be seen..

60.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

Ok, so can you explain the use of the ice water?? I have never done that - how you use it? Do you weld a section and then immediately wipe it down w/ the water? What about hammer welding - does this do away w/ ability to hammer weld?? I don't know much about such things and would appreciate you sharing the brain waves....

Sorry for not responding, for some reason I'm not getting e-mail notification of responses. I use the ice water and rags to reduce warpage. I tack a spot and hit it with the cold rag, move to another section and do the same. Hammer welding, if I'm correct, is done with a hammer and dolly while it's still hot to basically reduce warpage and leave less to grind off. To me, it seems like a lot more work, and possibly leaving pecker tracks on the metal. But some ole' schoolers will probably disagree. :D

There is a thread about hammer welding here somewhere, but it is basically OA torch welding for a patch panel, with a hammer and dolly shaping the whole thing flat.

Latest posts

Back