welding/fabrication table

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boltbreaker

So I have been going back and forth about building a fab table. Well I pulled the trigger. I started it last week. The top is done. Its outer rails are 2"X4" tubing with 3/16" walls. The two end stringers and the center stringer are 2"X4" and the other four stringers in between are 2"X3" 3/16" wall. Overall it's 60" wide by 144" long. (5FTX12ft).
I bought the legs today and the cross bracing pieces. Hopefully I can get those welded on tomorrow.
I had a shop weld the top together on their honeycomb table so it is perfectly flat and square. I'll do the rest. My garage floor is about as wavey as Lake Michigan.

motorglobetrailer062.jpg

motorglobetrailer060.jpg

Kool!!!

BB,
That's rockin' table!!! U'll b glad u have it! I have a big one... they just take up a lot of room!

BoB

If you can set it up on a rotiserie as a spinner, you can weld the majority of the frame on the table, which will minimize any warping.When I worked for a after market motorcycle manufacturer building motorcycle frames, I designed a fixture that would spin a full 360* and was able to weld 90% of the frame in the fixture - very little warping , if any at all.

If you can set it up on a rotiserie as a spinner, you can weld the majority of the frame on the table, which will minimize any warping.When I worked for a after market motorcycle manufacturer building motorcycle frames, I designed a fixture that would spin a full 360* and was able to weld 90% of the frame in the fixture - very little warping , if any at all.
I thought about doing a rotisserie set up on this table but have not researched how to do it yet.

I thought I was going to be finished today but the blade on my JET saw broke and I didn't have a spare. Bad planning on my part.
I landed a free set of 4 sold steel 5" casters today though. Oh man am I happy I didn't have to pay for them!! I will get back to welding the braces tomorrow.

On a side note.....I did a pretty good screw up last week. When I planned the table I measured the wheelbase and frame (to be) of the 33 Ford I'm building thsat will be mocked up on the table. I measured the footprint of the shop to be sure it can be moved around ok. I measured the inside of the enclosed trailer so I can transport it to storage. Guess what I didn't measure..,.the opening of the doorway into the trailer. It (table) was 2 inches too wide. So I had to cut one of the table side rails off and narrow the stringers. The table is going to be around 700lbs when done and I aint tipping it on its site to get it into no trailer:D.
Thought I would give you guys a laugh.

Hey BOLT
My fab table has 2 layers to it for me to store my 8' metal stock. Put some runners at each end and one in the middle spanning the short distance. Works great for me. Mine is 5'x10'

Hey BOLT
My fab table has 2 layers to it for me to store my 8' metal stock. Put some runners at each end and one in the middle spanning the short distance. Works great for me. Mine is 5'x10'
Thats another good idea. I want to get some hooks for the under side for clamps and welding/tool supplies too.

Keep the ideas coming!
My smart alic co-worker said I should put a motor on it and drive it:rolleyes:.

Looks like a trailor to me!

80's gm front wheel drive cars have the rear spindles you can bolt to your table legs. Keep the wheels underneath the table on a stud for storage. Jack up the table, mount the big tires on the rear and hook the front on your receiver.[ddd

Dang, all this is missing is the 1/2" thick plate on the top. (ive seen that) The cool thing with that is being able to drill and tap holes for various jigs.

My welding tables have a shelf under them for my endless supply of clamps.

I dont know how your shop is set up, but if this is going to be a permanent fixture maybe you could put some power outlets on it, possibly run some air to it. A good size cabinet could be good for storing your helmet so it doesnt get coated in shop dust or overspray.

Latest posts

Back